Back from the vet, $300 poorer.....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back from the vet, $300 poorer.....

DefaultBack from the vet, $300 poorer.....

Yesterday I posted that Cooper had a fat ear flap. Took him to the vet tonight and he has a bit of an ear infection and, as my wise friends on this board diagnosed ;D, a hematoma. She drained it and showed me the amount she removed - 20 cc, I think she said. The little kidney basin had quite a bit in it. She injected some Dexamethasone into the area where the blood had been. Said it would likely swell up again but then as the ear infection starts to clear, the swelling would go down. I have a bottle of drops to put in his ear twice a day....oh, what fun that's going to be! He kept shaking his head after they did the drainage and to prevent him from shaking, they took a stocking sort of thing, cut one hole in it for the good ear and pulled it over his head. Looked like a snood! I so badly want to take a photo but when we got home, he was so anxious to get that thing off. So no photo op. She also prescribed this other med that I had to get at the pharmacy, he's had it before, it's to stop itching, etc. and makes them pretty sleepy. He is now lights out in our family room, sleeping on our muskox rug. He loves that rug.

He weighed 85 lbs . He's up almost 10 lbs since last summer!!! Yikes!! She thinks he still looks very good, he still has that hourglass figure when looking at him from above but I'm not happy with that weight. I'd like him to be btwn 75 - 80. Time for a diet, I guess!

Bev.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Back from the vet, $300 poorer.....

Hopefully this takes care of it for him

Laura

Cooper!!!

Bev, I was thinking about him today and wondering how his ear was!! Glad you got it drained!! Poor baby Cooper!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

It was quite funny at the vet's. I stayed in the exam room while they took him to the back to drain his ear. As soon as he realized that a) he was going to the back (where they do the surgeries...where he has been before) and b) I wasn't going with him, he threw on the brakes! Didn't want to go. It took two of the vet techs plus the vet to get him back there. I could hear him shaking his head after they drained it and the three of them going, No! Don't shake! No!!. A few minutes later he came back into the room and ran to me, sat down next to my chair panting. The vet came in, looked at him and said, "Wow. He's much calmer now that he's with you."

That's my boy! Momma's boy apparently!

Bev.

I sure hope that did the trick and he doesn't have anymore problems

Gene Guest

Well worth the money to get him right. You didn't need that new outfit you were saving for, right Bev?

My Mom's Lab had that happen. It sucks. We had to get it drained twice. :'(

I hope Cooper feels better soon.

:-* for Cooper.

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

Sending lots of good thoughts for a quick recovery for Cooper..

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

Ouch on the bill, but hopefully this will make him feel a ton better.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Glad you got it taken care of

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast