I'm a bad Momma.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm a bad Momma.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultI'm a bad Momma.

I cut one of Baloo's nail WAAYY too short. It bled and bled and bled. :-[ :-[ :-[

Normally if I knick them I just apply pressure with a paper towel that I keep handy and the bleeding stops. But not this time, this was not just a knick, I don't know how I made such a bad judgment call, you'd think I had never clipped dog nails before. : :-\

Good thing I had styptic powder available, it saved the day. I only had a little bit, because I had never cut one of their nails badly enough that it was needed. I will most definitely be keeping that stuff on hand at all times from now on.

He was such a trooper too. Didn't even cry or flinch. I still feel AWFUL. :-[ :'(

Bad, bad Momma.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I'm a bad Momma.

oh boy, I did that to Zoe. She was not happy. The bleeding eventually stopped, but it bled the next day at the beach.

Now I use the dremel.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

k8show is offline Senior Member

Kate you are not a bad mommy. It sounds like it affected you more than Baloo.
    What a tough little sweetie, he must have known it was an accident.
    Katie and Boo

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I tend to cut a very small amount at once when I do them because Im worried I'll cut too much. It's harder on a dog with black nails.

goodguy is offline Senior Member

I rarely have to cut sami's nails... She usually wears them down on her own... But 2 times ago, I did the same thing. I am pretty sure I was MUCH more upset than she...

That's why I let the trainer cut them. Clarence cries like a baby the whole time, I can't imagine what he would do if I cut one too short! :'(

Allies Mom is offline Senior Member

My husband has always cut all 4 of ours nails. One day he accidently cut one of Allie's too short and it started bleeding. He felt so bad (I think she did too) and to this day he will cut everybodys but Allie's. He makes me bring her in to vet to have them do it, cause "he hurt his little girl".

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

I don't do the dogs, i find the whole experience too traumatic....for me! I get the veterinary nurses to do it.

I have 12 guinea pigs whom i have to do, that is BAD enough but at least 10 out of the 12 have white nails so i can see the blood flow, it's a horrid job, and if you slip up you are left feeling guilty and an inadequate Mommy!

Don't feel too bad, I bet Baloo is over it already ~

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

georgie is offline Senior Member

I have done that. It is tough with black labs. After the last time I cut one too short, I started just clipping the tips off every week. I think I'm afraid now of cutting it too much & making them bleed. I also have styptic powder in the house.

You aren't a bad mom....that happens sometimes.

No, you aren't bad! My DH did that to our first daughter when she was only a few days old! He swore he cut off the tip of her finger because of the blood (he didn't, just knicked it), and to this day (7 and 1/2 years later) has never cut another child's nor dog's nail. He will hold Jonah while I cut his nails, but won't cut them. Even I just cut the tips off, I'm afraid to go to close.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast