Allergy Testing.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Allergy Testing.

DefaultAllergy Testing.

My vet has recommended allergy testing for Holly (GR) because of her ongoing ear infections and skin conditions. Have any of you ever done this.....you know....to your dog, not yourself...lol.
    Was it helpful or a waste of money? I'd like opinions before we schedule it. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Allergy Testing.

My vet doesn't offer allergy testing, but they were willing to send us an hour away to have it done. Not.
    We used the elimation process for Frankie instead. Discovered he can't have fish or egg product.
    What do you feed her Charla?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Not on a dog I've had it done personally and it was a great help but dogs are different.
    I don't know if you've tried it already but my sisters dog (cocker/rat terrier mix) is 12 and she's always had terrible allergy problems they even got so bad that her feet and stomach were raw and leathery. She's always had ear infections too. After all sorts of steroids, different regular foods, and antihistimens they finally tried the Hills perscription Z/D food. I'm normally not a Hills/Science Diet fan but OMG the difference in her was unbeleivable After a month her stomach and feet were cleared up and the hair started to grow back shortly after. It's been at least 6 months and her hair is all back and she hasn't been itching or had an ear infection since. I beleive they even took her off the food and on a duck and potato food now. I hope you can find the sorce of her itchyness.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Holly has been on the z/d for at least a year. But we're still having some problems. But she could still be having problems from treats or God knows what else. Might not even be food. Vet ordered some new Heartguard today that isn't flavored. It's just a little thing, but it can't hurt. We're just at a loss right now. *sigh*

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I would have it done then Charla. I would have if they did it at my vets office.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Dani is offline Senior Member

think about going raw?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    think about going raw?
    Gosh Dani...I don't know anything about raw at all....or what is involved. Do you feed raw?

It's been 6 years ago when we had an allergy panel done on our first labrador and it was so worth the money. I think it cost about $250 at the time but I don't remember exactly now, just that at the time it was alot of money we didn't have being poor college students. Anyway, I would do it again in a heart beat. We found out we had been feeding exactly the wrong food even though it was recommended for allergies. Once we knew what he was allergic to we could switch to something that agreed with our dog.

Edited to add: One food we found he was not allergic to was potatoes and since he couldn't have any dog bisquits I always bought him extra french fries when we went out!

We have the same problem with Dakota....our next steop is allergy testing as well.....

I think we're going to bite the bullet and do it...I hope it has some good answers....I feel so bad for her and her ear problems...

Quote Originally Posted by Canula2000
    It's been 6 years ago when we had an allergy panel done on our first labrador and it was so worth the money. I think it cost about $250 at the time but I don't remember exactly now, just that at the time it was alot of money we didn't have being poor college students. Anyway, I would do it again in a heart beat. We found out we had been feeding exactly the wrong food even though it was recommended for allergies. Once we knew what he was allergic to we could switch to something that agreed with our dog.
    Oh wow....that is so helpful! I'm going to do it then. It sure would be nice to finally know what's been causing all of this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast