Need some advice

Thread: Need some advice

DefaultNeed some advice

I guess I little background first.
    Oakley and the littler became motherless at 2 weeks old. The pups were turned over to lab resuce. I adopted Oakley and she came home at 6.5 weeks. It is just her and I in our house. I used to have a room mate but haven't in a year.
    When Oakley was young, she had fear agression issues. I made sure she had lots of experiences with other dogs and the fear agression has subsided. She does need to be introduced to other dogs slowly and with space (not in a small room or hallway).
    Now the current problem is that she seems territorial of me. If we meet other dogs in a building (Day care, obedience) she turns into a complete orangutang.
    Once I leave the day care, she is fine. At obedience, I have to keep her attention completely focused on the food. (the focus is a bit on me but mostly on the food). But when a new dog comes in it is hard to get her focus again.
    How do I get this out of her??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Need some advice

I'm not sure if I'm right but it seems she thinks she's alpha which is a big no no. I've never had to deal with this particular problem so I hope someone answers.

I don't think it's an alpha problem. I have the same problem with Mocha some times and I know she knows I'm alpha. It's like she's trying to protect me. She doesn't do it to everyone or every dog but she will get infront of me and bark. Normally if I just have her I can get her back into heel and sitting pretty quickly until they pass and she seems to realize mom doesn't think they are a threat so it's ok or something. She only does this with me though. She also does it at home she will alert bark at something outside then come find me as to alert me to it. She doesn't do it if I'm not home and it's just DH. It's the same when workers are at the house if it's just DH he said she's fine but if I'm home she's very alert and will bark and get infront of me until she realizes I don't find them a threat. My FIL has also been over at the house to check on something when we were not home and he said she doesn't get near as excited if I'm not home when he comes in the house.

I attributed it to us living by ourselves for the first 1 1/2 years of her life. Although he loves DH and he was always around from when I brought her home he didn't live with us and I did everything for her so she is more attached to me. My trainer told me to just let her know I was in control and there was nothing to worry about. Don't coddle her and tell her it's ok just be matter of fact and in control and keep your cool. It has helped with Mocha and I try to be proactive if I see her starting to get agitated and get her attention on me.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Catherine, she sounds the same as Mocha. She does it sometimes and other times she doesn't.
    She knows I am alpha. She earns everthing she gets and asks to get up beside me on the couch. That type of thing.
    I didn't get her to protect me, I wanted a companion, pet.
    She seems to think it is her job to protect me.
    I really want to get her out of this mindframe.

The only thing that seems to help Mocha is if I show her I'm in control and don't get flustered which isn't as easy as it sounds since they pick up on everything. When on a walk or out in public I try to watch her close if I can tell she's getting aggitated I try to either remove her from the situation or get her attention on me by giving her commands having treats avaiable to reward her attention to me. I don't use a flexi or anything like that. It's more difficult if I have Zeus with me as he will get to barking if she does and it's hard to control both of them if they both get going.
    I would talk to you trainer or behaviorist and see if they have any suggestions.