Questions re: yard clean up
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions re: yard clean up

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestions re: yard clean up

I didn't want to continue my shameless hijack of the other "poopy" thread, so I thought I'd start my own!

How do you guys sanitize your yards? Sandy mentioned a bleach solution, but I have a few qualms about spraying bleach on the grass and garden area, as I don't want to kill any of the plant life that lives there now, or contaminate the soil so I can't plant stuff in the spring.

Baloo has had some bouts of diarrhea, and those are quite obviously unpickupable (not a word, I know. ;D) and I don't have a hose in the back. The ground and everything has completely frozen and the spots seem to have been absorbed, would this kill all the nasty stuff?

Any ideas?
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tootsiesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Questions re: yard clean up

I have used stall (horse) deoderizer with lime in the yard/pen and watered it in really well.

Cinnamon is good and only poop poop e doops under the NE side of the mulberry tree. As grass doesn't grow there I always keep loose top soil in that area (buy it by the bag). So when something is to loose to pick up I just shovel up the dirt. I use a stall rake as a pooper scooper.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Poop gets picked up every afternoon. When HK should have a loose movement, or diarhea I just get a hose out and basically flush it around.I suppose the first time she gets sick and that is the suspect source, I will have to change.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Kate,

I don't have a hose on the side of the house where Jonah goes, but I use a plastic jug that I just fill with water before we go out to rinse away any poop that I can't pick up when it's too soft or when he has diarrhea. I know as it is just water it isn't desanitizing it, but it's at least rinsing it into the ground so at least he's not stepping in it the next time around.

Don't know about the freezing (don't have that here!).

I clean up immediately.

I clean up right away. some days in winter when it is -20 or colder we leave it for a day or 2 as it sits, frozen on top of the snow. Even then though we don't go longer than the second day. He has a "poop spot" that he likes near the edge of the woods. When the weather is not so bitter it is absolutely daily.

Allie is offline Senior Member

I think as long as you use a mild bleach solution, I don't think there would be any harm to plant life. I've rinsed out aquariums in the grass using a bleach solution (usually a capful per gallon or less) and it's never harmed the grass.
    Allie, Teddy (6), Emily (7), and Ivy (4)

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

With Jake and Jazzy I pick regularly and don't worry about sanitizing the yard. But when Candy, my first lab, died of parvo, I bleached the yard around the house and it didn't hurt the grass. I don't remember the ratio of bleach to water that I used.

Brookville, Pa.

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

Just reading it to get some ideas. I don't have a yard, but my parent's yard is Saba's play area and wow, we are lucky (some would say...) the sucker will be on the back yard, but he'll bark and bark until someone takes him for a walk, so he can poop. Unless he's super sick or something, he just won't go on the backyard, except to pee.
    Yup my pooch is weird.... :-\

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast