Charged by 2 dogs on walk this evening
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charged by 2 dogs on walk this evening

DefaultCharged by 2 dogs on walk this evening

Took Jonah for a walk (on leash, of course). Not even out of our front yard and a VERY large Akita off leash runs up. He's done this before, usually owners are out, or at least the door to their house is open and I can yell to them that he's out. Today we weren't in front of their house yet, he ran down to ours. No owners in site. I don't trust him one bit. I hear a growl (not sure who, but I have NEVER heard Jonah growl, plus my clueless dog was wagging his tail, so I doubt it was him). Yell DH's name (of course, he's in the house and doesn't hear). Luckily, owner of Akita must have heard because he came slowly walkign down and took him, said nothing to me, but gave me a big smile. I didn't smile back, and didn't say anything. They've told me before he was friendly, but I don't think so the way he comes right up to Jonah, doesn't wag his tail, and puts his face in Jonah's. Two other times I've gone to their house to tell them he is out (once he was in our yard and they didn't know, another time he actually broken his tie out running at us as we walked by). He is so big, if he took a bite he'd seriously hurt or kill Jonah (or me).

I'm a little shaken, because that dog makes me so nervous, and no one was around or outside when he first came running, I sort of panicked. But I don't want to ruin the walk, so we continue on. A few streets later another dog comes barrelling out of his house barking/howling charging us, hair raised on his back. I keep walking trying to keep my cool and get Jonah out of there. Owner comes out a few minutes later and stands in the front door saying "come on Bruno" (of course, Bruno isn't listening). I get far enough down the street that the dog leaves us alone (dragging Jonah by the leash, who of course still has his tail wagging, thinking it's time to play).

What is wrong with people that they think this is okay? Even if it was an accident, they should come running after their dog, get their dog under their control and apologize!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Charged by 2 dogs on walk this evening

I absolutely hate when that happens. I'm just glad that nothing worse happened. People need to get a clue about their dogs.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

Callaway is offline Senior Member

Thank god nether one of you were hurt! I get a bit nervous about that too. We were out yesterday and a red fox came running down through the yard. Luckily he turned when he saw us, and Bogey was kinda like Jonah just happily sniffin along.

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Oye, I am not an Akita fan. One of them chased and pinned Peanut, scared her so bad she screamed (literally. :-\) The owner had given the leash to his four year old son, who clearly couldn't hold the dog once he had taken off after Peanut. : >

I just can't get over people's reactions. If Baloo got away from me and charged at a dog on leash I would be apologizing profusely to that person, and I would feel absolutely humiliated.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

jan elaine Guest

People act like that because they think it is "all about them ". The rude ill mannered trash. I also would be embarrassed, ashamed, and apologizing. But then my parents taught me to "treat others as I would want to be treated"! I would start carrying a whistle and a BIG stick. Poor Jonah!

Pepper spray...I am sorry if a dog charged Cinnamon and I feel she is in serious danger I would use it and as I carry bear spray it is strong. When we camp we have black bear in the area and so that is why I bought bear spray. I never walk Cinnamon without it.

I would call animal control and file a complaint. If you wait it may be too late.

Quote Originally Posted by azlab
    Pepper spray...I am sorry if a dog charged Cinnamon and I feel she is in serious danger I would use it and as I carry bear spray it is strong. When we camp we have black bear in the area and so that is why I bought bear spray. I never walk Cinnamon without it.
    Where can you buy bear spray? I am interested!

Quote Originally Posted by azlab
    Good thought! I might pick some pepper spray, just in case. I was thinking about that when the Akita came up, wondering where I should start kicking if I needed to.

Quote Originally Posted by MagsMom
    People act like that because they think it is "all about them ". The rude ill mannered trash. I also would be embarrassed, ashamed, and apologizing. But then my parents taught me to "treat others as I would want to be treated"! I would start carrying a whistle and a BIG stick. Poor Jonah!
    I don't think I could carry a stick while walking him (he'd think we were going to play and keep trying to get the stick), but I could carry a whistle. Would that be to scare off the other dog, or to get someone else's attention to help?

My other option is to go back to trying to walk him in the day. We rarely run into people or dogs then since most people are at work. I don't like to do it then though because I have to take all 3 kids. I enjoy our evening walks when hubby is home to keep the kids and Jonah and I get some alone time!

Quote Originally Posted by nellies mom
    I would call animal control and file a complaint. If you wait it may be too late.
    I totally agree! Their is no excuse to have a dog running around outside unattended. Not only could it attack someone or their dog but it could get hit by a car. This is a complete lack of owner responsibility.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast