So I thought Pete might be a bit on the thin side...

Thread: So I thought Pete might be a bit on the thin side...

DefaultSo I thought Pete might be a bit on the thin side...

At least to me he was. So I started throwin in a half cup or more extra on his meals, quite often forgetting to. But this weekend we both noticed Pete might have gained a few pounds.

The funny part is now I'm like "I'm such a bad dad. I have to put him on a diet that poor little pudgy boy".

This is mostly phycological, but I think it's funny.

There is more to love. That much I know.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: So I thought Pete might be a bit on the thin side...

My pooch has packed on a few pounds since last summer. Not sure why, he's a free-feeder and I don't think he's eating more than usual. We walk/play every day, nothing's changed there. I think he'll drop it come spring though, we are outside more and he runs around more.

Have any before/after pics?

Bev.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

????
    Location: Do you experience real winter temps? Is he putting on winter insulation? How many lbs? Is winter coat part of it?
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

My SIL and I were both talking and both dogs have been eating more kibble recently they are both self regulators. We were wondering if it is because of the cold (it has been in the 30's lately at night and only in the 50's or low 60's during the day). Now mind you a lot of kibble for Cinnamon is 2 cups usually she only eats about 1 never more than 1 1/2 cups. Neither appears to be gaining weight but I did ask my dad to run her by the vet one morning when they walk (they can go that way) and just weigh her.

I have to take Cooper to the vet tomorrow so will get his weight then. I suspect he's put on 5 lbs or so. He still looks quite good though, hubby thought he was too thin before. If he has gained that, I will cut back a bit on his kibble. I'd prefer him to be thinner as opposed to chunkier.

Ed - not sure to whom your question was directed but in the event it was me, I am in Ottawa, Ontario. We have winter!!! Not overly cold this year in my opinion but lots of snow fall this year. LOTS of snow. :-\ (Although we have been blessed with some milder temps in recent dates and the snow level has reduced greatly)

Bev.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slappy McCracken
    Ed - not sure to whom your question was directed but in the event it was me, I am in Ottawa, Ontario. We have winter!!! Not overly cold this year in my opinion but lots of snow fall this year. LOTS of snow. :-\ (Although we have been blessed with some milder temps in recent dates and the snow level has reduced greatly)

Bev.
    Two mentioned putting on weight and they were just thoughts I had. Many animals put on weight for winter naturally. Either for survival because of lesser food supply, or warmth. I was throwing ideas. I don't knw how old these dogs are either. Could they be 'filling out muscle'? Muscle in denser and heavier than body fat.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

I live near Cincinnati. It hasn't been super cold, but I'm sure he knows winter is coming. It could be a combo of that and the fact that I have indeed been feeding him more. He just look a tad bit too then.

I actually do have some shots of him from a few months ago. I took them for so I could have good shots of how "in shape" he was, meaning not overweight and all...

He may not look show quality perfect there, but for being 6 I think he looks good.

I'll get some "now" shots of him later tonight. He's at work with mommy to "guard" her cause she's alone. Yeah, she's reeeeal protected. I think she just misses her dogs who are still are grandmas till this weekend.