NLR, Louie (the Basenji) pictures - x-post from O & E

Thread: NLR, Louie (the Basenji) pictures - x-post from O & E

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

DefaultNLR, Louie (the Basenji) pictures - x-post from O & E

Posted this earlier in O & E, but thought some of you in LC might like to see as well.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, our houseguest, Louie, is doing very well with us. His Mom was very worried, since he's an "only child" and rather timid. Neurotic, in fact. The background on him is that his first owner got him from a breeder, and started showing him. But then that owner unexpectedly passed away and the breeder took him back But he spent most of his time kenneled, so he's never been properly socialized. :'( His new owner is very well-meaning, but she's never had a dog before in her life (and this is perhaps not the best choice of breed, but that's beside the point now). In any case, she really coddles him, and doesn't try to change any of his neurotic behaviors, in fact inadvertently reinforces them (he hates being in any room in the house but her bedroom, so she feeds him there, thus ensuring that he won't want to explore). : It's not deliberate on her part, she really loves him, but she's only had him a couple of months and is uncertain about asserting herself with him. We were joking that it would be like an Outward Bound program for him, where he could "find his inner Basenji". But how right we were! Toby and Chamois are working wonders with him.

Bad stuff first: He's had two peeing-in-the-house episodes. The first I attributed to pure accident or possibly submissiveness. The second one was clearly behavioral, he'd just been outside, and he looked right at me before popping a squat (at 3 years old, he's still not a leg-lifter). > I didn't rub his nose in it or anything (I know that's ineffective and just plain mean), but I did give him a stern correction and took him straight outside. He followed me around after that like a shadow for a few hours, desperate for approval - which he got after another outside pee, and then all was well. Hasn't happened again. Turns out, his Mom never scolds him for anything (and he's peed inside on occasion)! No wonder he's neurotic, that boy needs some structure! :-\

Anyway, the good news is that he gets along with the cats, doesn't even try to chase them, and he's found his place in the pack dynamic (the bottom, but that's OK, he's not interested in being anything else). He now not only plays chase around the yard with Toby and Chamois, he initiates the game. Even more surprising, he was actually playing bitey face with Chamois last night and loving it. ;D He's learning to listen to me about stuff like coming into the house when called, sitting for treats, and going into his "room" (Toby's old crate) when asked. He's not really into toys or anything yet, and may never be. But it's amazing to see his confidence level increase daily.

Last night, he decided to brave getting up on the couch with me and Chamois. And then he even came over to be petted.

He's a very strange little guy, but fundamentally very sweet natured. I'm growing quite fond of him. And he's very cute. But somehow I don't see this as a breed I'd ever be interested in having as a permanent part of our family.

Of course, after his visit with us, maybe we should take his owner in and teach her some things about confidence! ;D
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: NLR, Louie (the Basenji) pictures - x-post from O & E

Aww-sounds like he is lucky to have you working with him.

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Louie is such a cutie. :-* You are so sweet for taking care of him.
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

He IS cute !! I think you are correct about his owner needing some training !

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

He is a cutie - thanks for sharing his story with us.
    Sounds like he's fitting into your "pack" nicely now.

wiscpayton is offline Senior Member

How great you are giving him structure and fun! Please post a picture that includes his curled up little tail. I had a basenji as a kid, and it is very rare to see them around here! I enjoyed looking at his pictures. They were originally an Egyptian dog weren't they? Chamois looks very unconcerned. LOL

It sounds like he's having a great time and coming out of his shell. Hopefully when his mom gets back you can show her how to be more of a leader and what a difference it makes.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Louie is pretty cute. I find them a facinating breed but not to my liking either. They are different.

Just a reminder to not get too trusting with him and the cats yet though.
    Kim

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Hooray for you!!!

Print this thread out and show it to her. Seriously.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"