When Is It Safe?

Thread: When Is It Safe?

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhen Is It Safe?

I posted a question about whipworm in Health/Nutrition a few days ago, but still have some questions/concerns so I figured I'd get more feedback in here. Hope you all don't mind. My friend's newly-rescued Irish setter was diagnosed with whipworm recently. She took him to the vet and they have started a course of antibiotics. It has been a few days now that he's been on it. All during this time she and SO have been taking the dog to public places; Pet Smart, dog park, beach. When I asked my friend if her vet advised staying away from these places until their dog was cured, she said that now that he's on antibiotics it's safe to take him anywhere. Is this correct? It doesn't sound right to me. She wants our dogs to get together and meet but I am hesitant. I'll be taking Breezy to the beach today, but definetly not the same beach my friend has been taking her setter to lately. How long do you wait until it is safe to be around a dog that has/had whipworm? Should my friend be keeping her dog at home right now? Thanks for any advice! Sorry so long!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: When Is It Safe?

Until the dog is found clear of whips. Whips can be a bugger to get rid of. Sometimes the first cycle of drugs doesn't work...or the second...or the third. Plus the dog isn't on antibiotics, or shouldn't be. Antibiotics will do NOTHING for whipworms.

One of my puppies ended up with whips once she went to her new home. The new owner did everything and the dog continued to be infected with whips. She finally started giving Interceptor every 3 weeks instead of every 4 and finally was able to get rid of the whips. This was 9 years ago and I'm not sure if she's still on a 3 week schedule with Interceptor or not.

One of my Dalmatian friends was never able to get her dog clear of whips. This was 20 years ago though so we didn't have Interceptor. I would be very cautious about letting my dog near a dog that had whips.

Laura

Thanks, labby. I'll take your advice and keep Breezy away from my friend's dog until the coast is clear. I'm just a bit surprised I guess that her vet didn't advise that she keep her dog away from public places until he is clear of whipworm. ???

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Do you use Heartguard or Interceptor? If Interceptor, it covers whips where Heartguard does not. Main reason I use "I" instead of "H" when I fostered...vet suggested I keep mine on that due to fosters coming in and out of my house.
    Agree that antibiotics does NOTHING for whips or any worms for that matter. The vet might have given Drontal Plus which usually requires another dose at 2-3 weeks and retesting of stool. You should suggest your friend use Interceptor vs. Heartguard for HW preventative from now on. Whips can get in the dirt and soil and you just never know when one will get infected again.
    I'm just scratching my head about the antibiotics thing unless there is also something else going on.

I wonder if the friend said antibiotic, not knowing the difference. It would be something I would ask about.

Laura

zoezoe,
    oops, my bad. The dog IS on Drontal, not antibiotics. Sorry for the confusion! : My friend is switching from Heartgard to Interceptor. My girl, Breezy, is currently on Heartgard Plus but now I'm wondering if I should switch her to Interceptor. I'm going to call my vet this week.

Yep, Drontal and if she has them really bad, recommend another dose at 2-3 weeks. I would definitely encourage her to switch to Interceptor now that she has had whips there. I think buddysmom boy, Buddy, also had them and is why she also uses "I". Once those suckers get in the yard, it's hard to get rid of them.

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Yikes. I have never even heard of whipworms. Are they a regional thing??? I am constantly worried about heartworms, given where I live.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoast
    Yikes. I have never even heard of whipworms. Are they a regional thing??? I am constantly worried about heartworms, given where I live.
    No considering I live in MI and Sandy lives in GA. Whips are everywhere.

http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=778

Laura