Cappy's Horses ... Update
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cappy's Horses ... Update

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

DefaultCappy's Horses ... Update

Well ... we went duck hunting at our 2nd property this morning. When we came home around 10 am, the jury-rigged fencing was still intact so we assumed the horses would still be here. That was a partially accurate assumption. As we pulled up towards the house on the 700' long white rock drive, I could see that the paint was still on our property but the black horse was on the other side of the fence into our north neighbor's pasture

We offloaded and when we drove up in the ATV, I could see the top 2 strands of a 6-strand barbed wire fence were down. There was our black male ... across the fence with an all white mare! Ut oh. At least he stayed close by his little brother on the other side of the fence. The paint that I thought was a female yesterday ... it's actually a yearling male.

We tried to bribe the black horse back over with apples and carrots after I cut the fence. He's apparently never eaten any before or at least not from hand. The young paint was very friendly but was nervous about eating from us. The white mare was only too happy to be hand fed and she loved the apples and carrots.

I had a hard time keeping the paint from entering the neighbor's pasture and I couldn't get the black to come back over to our side without the mare. So I repaired the fence and called the Sheriff's Dept to see if they had any updates.

They said they still haven't found the owners but a pair of wranglers will be coming by later today to pickup the two horses and keep them at the County facilities for 30 days before they are auctioned. Carol has enjoyed the horses as did Remi and Cappy today. Of course the dawgs watched the horses eat apples so they figured they should have some too.

Back home, Carol posed with the two dawgs with this morning's meager harvest. Then, just as if to rub salt into the wound, as we were washing the dawgs I suddenly heard snow geese nearby ... straight over the top of our house and maybe 75 yards up!

Remi and Rusty aren't my whole life. They're trying to fill the hole in my heart left by Cappy's passing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Cappy's Horses ... Update

Hmmmmm for someone who "isn't a horse person", looks like that big ole soft heart of yours gives in pretty easily. LOL just kidding. Love the photos. Cappy and Remi were so good to stay in the ATV, good dogs.

Here Puppy ... nice puppy!

Remi and Rusty aren't my whole life. They're trying to fill the hole in my heart left by Cappy's passing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Regardless of you not being a "horse person " your affinity with animals is brilliant.

Isn't this a trait with Labrador owners ???

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

Thanks for posting the pictures and the update - I was curious what was happening. I hope they eventually find their way home.

Bella

georgie is offline Senior Member

Those are beautiful horses. Are you sure you & Carol don't want to be horse owners? You seem to have a way with them. The pictures are great.

TwoLabs is offline Member

Yikes! Barbed wire and horses is a recipe for disaster! Horses have a talent for getting tangled in fences and then panicking. When you are talking barbed wire, the potential for devastating injury is astronomical. Please, please, please tie some big flappy bright bits of cloth or plastic on the top strand so the horses can see it and stay clear.

From someone who is a horse person/owner!

He he ... thanks for the concern but we have 112 acres of 6 strand fence all around the perimeter except for maybe 40 yards wide at the entrance where I started another type of fence project (white vinyl) and didn't get it finished. Almost every ranch/farm in N TX uses 6 strand barbed wire for livestock retention.

TwoLabs is offline Member

No one up here would dream of using it except for cattle...except those few who really shouldn't have horses in the first place. It's well documented how inappropriate it is for horses. They can run full tilt into it without seeing it, get caught and will thrash until sliced to ribbons.

I just saw your initial post on the little one hit by a car. How sad! The owner needs a smack up the backside of the head for not keeping them properly contained! > Irresponsible!

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by samson
    Regardless of you not being a "horse person " your affinity with animals is brilliant.
    Oh I agree, agree, agree!

Seamus and Flynn

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast