outdoor potty area

Thread: outdoor potty area

Defaultoutdoor potty area

Gordon is settling in really well. He is already giving clear signs that he wants to go outside (he runs over and paws at the door).
    However once outside he seems to go in any spot but the one we are trying to designate at his area. When we left the breeder they gave us a bag of shavings that they had been using to put down in the area we wanted him to go. I keep redirecting him but he will wander a good distance before finding an area to go (which happens to fall in the neighbors yard) so we are trying to discourage that.

My question is should I get an exercise pen that we could place outside thus giving him a good size area while at the same time keeping him contained? I should also say that we are working on getting him used to the leash but we aren't there yet and I don't want to bring him outside and have him fight with me and the leash right now...I am trying to keep it as a positive experience until we can get him more comfortable with the leash.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: outdoor potty area

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab1973
    Gordon is settling in really well. He is already giving clear signs that he wants to go outside (he runs over and paws at the door).
    However once outside he seems to go in any spot but the one we are trying to designate at his area. When we left the breeder they gave us a bag of shavings that they had been using to put down in the area we wanted him to go. I keep redirecting him but he will wander a good distance before finding an area to go (which happens to fall in the neighbors yard) so we are trying to discourage that.

My question is should I get an exercise pen that we could place outside thus giving him a good size area while at the same time keeping him contained? I should also say that we are working on getting him used to the leash but we aren't there yet and I don't want to bring him outside and have him fight with me and the leash right now...I am trying to keep it as a positive experience until we can get him more comfortable with the leash.
    Not an expert, but... I will relate what we did with Hershey Kisses when we brought her home. It worked for us. Whenever we took her out to pee and poop, she was on lead. It wasn't for training loose lead walking, it was to control her movements until she did her things. We would let her off lead, but stay within correction distance after she went.

So, on lead and you are keeping her in the target zone until the p&p is complete. Then when done and off lead, I would stay within reach and correct her if she tried to cross the property line. This has paid great dividends as she got older and faster than we were.

Offered as an idea that worked for us.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

I have to agree with the previous poster..When we brought Guinness(our shepherd mix) home in August...we walked him in the same spot in the yard on a lead..and once he went potty he was allowed to have fun outside..We walked him everytime he had to go up until about 2 months ago..Now he immediately goes when we let him out..and he still will go to his spot when we let him out..Walking him in the same spot also helped after we had spent some time outside playing and we wanted to go in...I would walk with him over to his spot(off lead) and it was like potty-on-demand!!LOL..then I knew we were safe to go back in!!!
    I'm sure with a little consistency he will be fine with the leash..We would leave Guinness on the leash in the house to help him get used to it..and it was real helpful when he was somewhere he shouldn't be!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I am sorry I don't have any advise. I wish I had controlled Kassy. Next pup I get I will.

Erns is a go anywhere, everywhere kinda guy.

Good luck and sounds like you and Gordon are working hard together.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/