Bizarre left finish...how do I untrain it?

Thread: Bizarre left finish...how do I untrain it?

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultBizarre left finish...how do I untrain it?

I know this should really go in obedience, but anyway...

Angus has been doing a very strange-looking left finish. It is totally my fault. Here's how it happened:

He would do a left finish, but be slightly forged. So, I would tell him to "Get Back." He understands this, and would scooch his butt back to correct heel position.

After about a couple hundred times of that (Again, I know this is my fault), he started to sort of "back into" his left finish. Does this make sense? Instead of coming forward and turning into me, he raises his back end and backs it around to heel position.

:

I am getting a lot of flack about this in class.

Now: He only does it this way when I hold my hand high to give the flip finish signal. If I hold my hand lower and move it back, the way you lure when you are teaching him, then I get the correct form.

I think he is confused by the high hand and is mistaking it for something I do when I say "Get back."

Thoughts?

Can I give the signal low in competition, or will I get dinged for that?

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Bizarre left finish...how do I untrain it?

That is how Scotty does his verbal left/swing finish. My trainer did not care for it at first, but now she does not mind as long as he ends up in the perfect heel position. If I do a signal for his left/swing finish, he does it the traditional way.

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

You can give any signal you want as long as the judge doesn't suspect a double command. Also, there's nothing wrong with a different left finish. As long as it's done with one smooth motion. Others may disagree but I like to see different approaches to the exercises.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Commands (signals or verbal) can be anything you want (unless it's obscene ). You can say "flip", "swing", or "chickenlegs" if you want.

Since he does it correctly with the low signal, I'd just do it that way. You know the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Just make sure you aren't really luring him because that could be penalized.

The other option is to retrain the command (verbal and/or signal) to something different so he associates the correct performance with that.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Oh, thanks for the feedback and suggestions you guys!

Sheesh, the people at my club have been acting like it's the end of the world!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    Commands (signals or verbal) can be anything you want (unless it's obscene ). You can say "flip", "swing", or "chickenlegs" if you want.

Since he does it correctly with the low signal, I'd just do it that way. You know the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Just make sure you aren't really luring him because that could be penalized.

The other option is to retrain the command (verbal and/or signal) to something different so he associates the correct performance with that.
    I totally agree with this.

Except, be prepared to take some flak from the oddball judge or too. I use one command to mean stand/stay. I read somewhere that it is easier down the road for utility, etc. No judge has ever said anything about me not using the traditional "stand", then "stay" or hand signal. But last weekend, I got yelled at for what felt like forever for not saying stand/stay.

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

I had a trainer once that wanted/insisted/browbeat me to use "out" as the command for Buddy to give me the dumbbell. I wanted to use "give". He told me that the judge would dock me if I used "give". I was too green in obedience to know any better. I finally got up the courage to ask a member of our club who was an obedience judge, if it was OK for me to use "give" for that command. She said of course it was. I could use any word I wanted. This guy still insisted that I use "out". I refused. I ended up not saying anything at all. That really pi$$ed him off.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

patm is offline Senior Member

From a person who says "vamos" for her recall, and has a dog that does a high,leaping left finish (only docked if they bump you, or don't end up straight) and also only says "stay" for the stand/stay - as long as it is one continous single, and your dog does what it is supposed to - you could say "chicken" for giving you the dumbell and it shouldn't matter. Many people with GSD say their commands in German - so who knows what they're even saying! I would give him the low hand signal for a left finish, or reteach with another command. I got Emilu to stop her leaping left finish for a while by switching from "swing", to just saying "heel', but then she figured it out and started leaping on "heel" too. now I try to say it very quietly and calmly and she will walk into her heel, but she likes to jump up so well that I hate to spoil her fun.