Concerned about new aggressive behavior

Thread: Concerned about new aggressive behavior

DefaultConcerned about new aggressive behavior

Hello,

Jake it typically a very mellow, loving dog. REALLY.

My neighbor (who happens to be my boyfriend) got a boxer a few months after I got Jake last year. Jake is now going on 16 months; Cassius is turning 1 year old in a few days. Cassius was neutered two weeks ago. Jake was neutered much younger at the shelter I got him from. These two dogs have basically grown up together, but have always lived at separate residences.

They both weigh about the same, but Cassius is solid rock. Plus, he uses his body to play. We have had "personal space" issues with him. He has a hard time of understanding when enough is enough. Anyway, he has always pushed Jake around, and Jake being the dog he is, basically always put up with it. EXCEPT when he is chewing a bone. About two weeks ago Cassius came near Jake while Jake was working on a bone and Jake snapped. It was very scary. I managed to get them apart. It happened again when I turned my back. I removed Jake and brought him home.

Marc wasn't home at the time and had a hard time believing what I was telling him. But then he saw it tonight. Marc's impression is that Jake was completely unprovoked. My argument (although I agree this behavior is 100% NOT acceptable) is that Jake has finally had enough.

WHAT DO WE DO???????/

FYI, Jake attends day care on a regular basis and always receives good reports. The reason why Marc got Cassius neutered is so that he can attend daycare because he was often underexercised and VERY hyper.

Please help...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Concerned about new aggressive behavior

There are a lot of experts on this board that can probably give you very good advice, but I'll throw my 2 cents in anyway. I am not a trainer nor do I have any credentials! So take my opinion with a grain of salt! I would immediately stop giving bones when the dogs are together. Bones are IMO the most highly prized and guarded resource. Has Jake acted protective about other objects or were both times over bones? I would make sure that they don't have access to anything that they would consider a valuable resource.
    Other than that, I don't have any suggestions.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

Tanya is offline Senior Member

was there a bone invovled in both instances?

I agree with the above. I've heard many stories on the board of dogs that get along great and don't have an aggressive bone in their body get their shackles up and go after another dog when a bone is invovled. If the bone was there both times I would simply remove all bones from the house (or at least keep them hidden and taken out when they are separated)

Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

As everyone else said it's the bones. If they get along fine when there is no food around I wouldn't worry about it, just don't feed either of them together. As to types of play, boxers can be very head strong and rough. When I used to take Nellie to a play group she would stay as far away from the boxer as she could. He played too rough for her.

Thank you all for your responses.

You all confirmed exactly what the vet said this morning. We brought both dogs to the vet (Jake for his yearly check-up and Cassius to have his stitches removed). It has only been with the bones. He said get them out of the house.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

There are experts on this and I think you have heard the theme from them. I am no expert. I have had one circumstance with protection of rawhide with our Hershey Kisses at 10 weeks old and our son's 6 year old Lab, Newman. HK spent 24 hours at the e-vet not knowing if he she would make it. New had been the most docile Lab for the 6 years my son has had him.

Today they can be fed along side each other without problems. We can treat them sitting along side each other. There has never been another incident. HOWEVER, the house being visited by the other is scrubbed for any bone, rawhide, nylabone, anything 'edible' before the other arrives. They are best friends, but we are not going to tempt the protection devil.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

I'm going the other route. you say they are buddies, right?

I'd give them bones together, and take the bones away at the same time.
    This is Zoe & her pal Lady. We continually do this with bones, kongs, they can even eat together (separate bowls). Zoe finishes first, but will not bother Lady. At this stage in their lives, I can take Lady's bone away, and Zoe will not growl if Lady goes near. Be careful though. I am not a behaviorist, and we have 2 great Labs (Zoe is the more food protective of the two, though) :

Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by zoesmom
    I'm going the other route. you say they are buddies, right?
    I'd give them bones together, and take the bones away at the same time.
    This is Zoe & her pal Lady. We continually do this with bones, kongs, they can even eat together (separate bowls).
    You could try this, BUT I would not have them so close, not initially anyway. have them in crates, or both leashed, or tethered, with at least a few feet between them, and have two people watching.

Given half a chance, both Tris and Soph will forsake their own bones/kongs to try and steal Kaylie's, so constant supervision is needed.

Personally, I would shelve the bones unless both dogs were crated.