Pet Stores
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pet Stores

Joey is offline Senior Member

DefaultPet Stores

This might seem like a stupid question, but I was wondering what the rules were for taking your dog to the pet store with you? We have a few small ones around, but there is a PetSmart close by I was thinking of going to. I wasn't sure about the dogs being able to interact with each other and those kinds of things?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Pet Stores

Under advisement of my vet and also lab rescue I never take Nellie to Petsmart. It was never publicized here but there have been a couple of dogs killed in fights at my local Petsmart (Rockville, MD). I do sometime take her to small independent stores.

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by nellies mom
    Under advisement of my vet and also lab rescue I never take Nellie to Petsmart. It was never publicized here but there have been a couple of dogs killed in fights at my local Petsmart (Rockville, MD). I do sometime take her to small independent stores.
    Holy cow!! I had never heard anything about this!
    I take mine to our locally owned pet supply store. I don't let them interact with other dogs, though. You just never know if someone has a dog they can't control.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Nellies Mom,

OMG, I did not know that!

Though I do take Lexi to the local Petco with me & sometimes to the Petsmart, where Susan (WeHeartLabs) son works. I keep her leashed on a short leash & do not let her get too close to other dogs unless they are someone I know.

I've never had an issue with encountering aggressive dogs.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Other than having reasonable control of your dog there are no rules really. I would still ask before allowing my dog to meet/greet another dog though (there are those who bring aggressive dogs there - I wouldn't say there are ALOT of those types though)

I've brought Rocky to a few other stores too (a small hardware store allows dogs). He's very quiet and does better in none dog stores (no treats at the hardware store)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

It freaked me out when my vet told me about Petsmart. It and also my local Petco attract a very diverse group of people and I've seen some pretty out of control dogs there.

I have taken Nellie to my local bank. They love it. I've also taken her into Chico's where I work. Other than those places and small pet shops she is too big to take everywhere. The bank where I had my car loan hated it when I brought her in once a month but since they had no policy prohibiting dogs they said nothing.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I take Baloo to Petsmart all the time. It's a great place to work on a whole bunch of stuff.

Basic "doggie etiquette" applies, really. Having pretty good control over your dog and asking permission before allowing him to approach strange dogs and stuff like that. I usually don't allow Baloo to approach the other dogs at all, but that's pretty much because focusing on me even in the presence of strange dogs is something we go there to work on.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by nellies mom

mental note: don't take dogs to petsmart in rockville

I've taken Molly with me to Petsmart on occasion, but we typically don't encounter other dogs unless it's a weekend. I also took her to home depot for the first time last week, we were outside in the garden department.
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

since my son works at the local Pet Smart, all 3 of mine go often to visit him. Ruby thinks she owns the place since he sometimes takes her before and after store hours and she gets free run of the place.

The only rules are the dogs must be leashed and up to date on all shots.

Joey is offline Senior Member

I was curious as to how he would be with all the food there. He is usually pretty quiet when we go to new places, takes time checking it out, but a place with other dogs and food and toys might change that. Still haven't been to the big pet store close by, so maybe I'll check it out first without Cooper and then see how I feel.

Kate - was wondering what you found to be the best way to get Baloo to forget about the other dogs and focus on you? That is something that I would really like to work on with Cooper. He is fine at obedience class, but while out for a walk he pulls like crazy when he sees another dog. I'm sure some of it is due to his age (7 months today) and not many other people walk their dogs around here so not many chances to practise, but I would love some advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast