I think I've hit the wall
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think I've hit the wall

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultI think I've hit the wall

After several days of trying to figure out the cause of the boys' mysterious fungal infection, I think I've finally hit the wall. I'm mentally exhausted.

My question has been, could they have gotten this fungal infection from the mulch we brought in that has been growing mushrooms and fungi like there's no tomorrow? It appears fungi is a very complicated subject. We've asked all the master gardeners we know, I've called a vet dermatologist, and everyone is totally blanking.

So, I guess now I need to figure out whether we should remove the mulch we have in the backyard, just in case.

Most people seem to think it's not a really big deal...the attitude is like, "So, your dogs have a fungal infection...this is a problem why?" But when it's YOUR dogs with the fungal infection, well, I'm just trying to do everything I can to help them.

But sadly, I can't (and shouldn't) remove all fungi from the earth.

Simon's feet look SO awful. He now has no hair left on the tops of all four. Angus' feet at least have not changed much so far. No major hair loss, just patchy hair loss.

I guess the bottom line is, what I maybe need to be focusing on in the way of prevention is figuring out some routine for cleaning their feet when they come inside. I'm considering bottles of 50/50 water and vinegar and towels at both doors. Does this sound like a plan? Other ideas?

Thanks for listening. I'm so bummed out for the boys. I just wish I had a definitive solution to all this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'm so sorry that this is still a mystery. You must be so frustrated.

Can you remove the mulch and replace it with stones/pebbles? Something less likely to support the growth of the fungus? Just a thought.

FWIW - I had fungal dermatitis on my hands for a long time - it was stress related. I finally got it healed by wearing white gloves to bed every night with my hands slathered in cortisone cream. Mine started with tiny painful blisters which led to peeling red nasty leprosy looking hands - which would heal up and then start all over again I still have little flare ups on my fingers now and then - but no major reoccurrance.

Have you tried cortisone and sox on his feet? Maybe wrapping them around the sox?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

joflake is offline Senior Member

I don't know if this would help or hurt. Maybe somebody like labby would know better than me. But how about trying the purple stuff we use for their ears. Gentian Violet. It's an antifungal mixture that kills the yeast, that's why it works on the ears. Is this right? After all you guys talking about it, I bought it for Libby's ears and it works wonders. Do you think it could help your guys feet? I feel bad for them.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MNLab is offline Senior Member

I don't have any advice, just want to say I'll keep your puppers, and YOU in my prayers! Hope it clears up soon, just try and relax, don't stress yourself out too much (although, easier said then done!)
    Chantel and...

Daisy, Hayshaker She's Utterly Unforgettable, CGC
    Lola, our mellow yellow gal. Gotcha on 1-7-07

AZLAB is offline Senior Member

Will vinegar kill fungus? Off to look on internet.

Connie, from what I can see fungus doesn't react to vinegar. I think I would keep a bottle of bleach water 5% bleach 95% water. I know bleach is a base and kills fungus that is what makes me wonder about vinegar as it is an acid.

I honestly think basic soap and water and drying the feet would work. You are trying to remove the source not kill what is already established.

Have you checked their food. I still wonder if you got a bag that is contaminated or if the manufacture changed to a cheaper formula and you are getting corn or something the boys don't like. I know when I took Cinnamon off the corn based food it cleared the fungus in her ears up. It started 3 weeks after I switched her to the dog food.

I now feed grain free to be sure this doesn't happen again. Cinnamon and Cierra eat Nature's Variety Instinct (chicken) and I have never had a problem. The web site has a store locator. And because it is grain free you feed less so a 25 pound bag last as long as a 40 pound of regular kibble and you have less poop to pick up.
    Last edited by AZLAB; 07-28-2009 at 03:10 PM.
    Karon and Cinnamon

Karon, I think vinegar does kill fungus. That's one of my questions: Should I just treat the mulch with vinegar? And, part two of that question, will it kill the plants?

Or, do I just need to get that mulch the heck out of there and hope it's finished. My dog food lady (talked to her at lunch) is leaning this way.

I just left a message with UT Vet Teaching Hospital Dermatology dept. They said one of the assistants there would call me back!

joflake, I also think that Gentian Violet would work. I am going to start using that on Simon's ears too. But right now they're on an antifungal spray, so I don't really want to add anything else to the mix. But I think the purple stuff, or vinegar, might be the ticket once we can get this under control.

BigBrownDog, that's a good thought about replacing with pebbles. I might be doing that. Either that, or pine straw, which they say is more acidic and less likely to grow fungus. But the down side of pine straw is, some dogs react to the sap.

Sigh. Well, thanks y'all! I feel better just knowing someone cares and is sympathetic to the problem!! I also feel better after I ate something. LOL

I'll have to post a picture of Simon's feet later. You won't believe it.

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Connie is the mulch dyed? Could they be having a reaction to some chemical in the mulch that is making them bother their feet, thus creating a situation where a fungal infection can arise (moist from licking, warm, etc.).

I think the fungus could come from the mulch, but I don't think it's the same thing that you're seeing with the naked eye (mushrooms and that other stuff). Could you let us know what the dermatologist says also?

Lots of good thoughts for you and the boys (And thank you for the PM too! We're going to look at Volvos)

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Good luck Connie.

woo hoo! Have fun Volvo shopping!

Karon, we must have posted at the same time or something.

Hmmm...now you have me curious about the vinegar as well. You're totally right, it makes sense that if bleach works, then vinegar shouldn't, right?

But here's another thing as long as we're talking about acidity: Gardeners are recommending pine straw mulch, because it's "more acidic and less likely to host fungus."

Confusing confusing! The more I try to understand this, the more I'm confused!

I did think about food. They are both on grain-free and have been for a long time. They've been on Taste of the Wild for several months now. Before that it was Timberwolf for a long time. I wonder if TOTW has changed formulas? Well, that's probably not it either, as Simon just recently switched to Natural Balance Limited Ingredient (right before all this happened, in an attempt to address minor allergy issues with him).

I would be suspicious of the Natural Balance, if it wasn't Angus too.

With both of them reacting, and neither of them on the same food right now, it just almost has to be environmental.

Anyway - yes, if this dermatologist calls me back I will definitely give a report!

lablover is offline Senior Member

Connie, I really do not see how a fungus in the mulch can cause a fungus on their feet. Fungus needs a hot, humid condition ... along with the fungus spores to grow. You take one of those away and the fungus cannot grow.

Fungus in mulch is from decaying matter. Other wise, your mulch is breaking down. You can also bring fungus in the soil on new plants. That is a natural occurring advent.

You can also get fungus in your lawn. That is very common. But I have never heard of any plant fungus growing on animals. Notice I said growing ON ... some fungus/molds will get into lungs and cause problems.

Spraying vinegar can ... and will kill plants!!! It is use as a natural weed/grass killer.

Can the vet doing scraping to find out exactly what fungus the dogs have? You do know, ringworm is also a fungus?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast