Those of you with two (or more!)...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Those of you with two (or more!)...

DefaultThose of you with two (or more!)...

... a question...

I had this random thought this morning (I have these a lot! LOL!).

When Henery gets disciplined (ie. I raise my voice to him and say "uh uh!!" or "NO!") he will automatically launch into the low full body wiggle with ears pinned back. I just assume that's how he tells me, "Whoops. Sorry!"

I noticed this when we were dogsitting my parents' dog. If I disciplined him, Henery would still launch into his low full body wiggle with ears pinned back, even though he wasn't the one getting in trouble.

Is there any way to help him comprehend that he's not the one getting in trouble?

Does this make sense? I think I'm rambling... it's been a loooong week.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Those of you with two (or more!)...

Kinda funny you mention that. My ym Bob is usually the one to get into mischief. When I try to scold him he knows he did something but will not want to come to me. Darla will usually come up with her ears down and I look at it more that she is protecting him. It is really kinda comical because you can't be mad at them after seeing that. I think it is more about attention and all the really hear is Charlie Browns teacher (qwa, qwa, qwa)

I don't know. I wish I could help you. We're having a hard time getting the kid and the dog to understand which one of THEM is in trouble.

I'm getting to where I'm saying the wrong name. Billie...no Rylee...no BILLIE...EVERYONE STOP IT!!

:-[

Lemme know how you guys do it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

PhoebeJeebies is offline Senior Member

LOL...you know, if I say something to my husband like "heeyyyyy" (I will say that to Phoebe when she gets into mischief) sometimes she thinks I'm talking to her because she looks away and pins her ears back. So I say "ohhh not you sweetheart" and give her some lovin's. ;D
    Becca & Phoebe

kassabella is offline Senior Member

You are not rambling. At first Sam would think he was the one. After some time he learned he wasn't Ernie and didn't bat an eye or just knew I wasn't talking to him.

Sam didn't get into too much trouble. I tried to remeber to say their names before I called one or other. Ernie always came to gloat at Sam if he was in trouble.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I think he does comprehend that the other dog is in trouble, but just empathizes. Mine don't like me to scold any of the others, especially Bruno. They will even place themselves between me and the scoldee, ears pinned back, licking my face as if to say "Don't have a cow, Mom." (Some dogs like Judy don't do the penitent posture routine and it's hard to tell if the scolding/correction is getting across.)

Finnigan is offline Senior Member

I've found that ususally it is onlyone of them around when i have to correct but if they are both there I usually use the name with the tone and they put it together - My most common phrase is "finnigan no" since sunshine is my little angel . If it is nto an immediate no situation it is a long drawn out Finn---a -gin with that "what aer you doing?" tone. Seems to work for me...

Hi Felicia,
    I don't think it can be changed. He knows that mama isn't happy about somthin' so he goes into sorry mode. I know with Buck, any time anyone raises their voice he does ears back and leaves the room. This was the reason we call him Bucky, had to add the y to make it sound happy cause everytime he heard the word *uck he would do ears back and either hide under the table or leave the room. I think its the tone.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

What do they understand and what does the reaction mean?

A GR we had would lower ears, flatten, and sad eye stare when she got caught and got yelled at.
    When one of the kids were getting yelled at, same routine but she would crawl between kid and me, turn to me, sit up, and start barking at me. I always thought she either didn't like the yelling, or was defending the kid.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

georgie is offline Senior Member

No...you make perfect sense. If I yell at Abby about something & say "sit"..Molly will sit also & both girls have their ears pinned back. If I yell at Molly for jumping, even if I say "Molly sit"...Abby sits down too. Why do they do that with their ears?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast