Baby is Sick! UPDATED 1/12
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baby is Sick! UPDATED 1/12

DefaultBaby is Sick! UPDATED 1/12

So at 9 o'clock last night, I got home, and we went through our normal routine. And as soon as we went to bed, Kaycie started having problems. I noticed her starting to swallow hard, and licking for air. It was almost like a hiccup, or as if she had something stuck in her throat, or her throat was bothering her. I opened her mouth, and saw some sore spots on the roof of her mouth, near the back. They were red, and raw, and stood out against the black normal tint. She went to the bathroom, 4-5 times during a 4hour period. Pee, and Poop both times. It was a really soft stool. I recorded a video, of her doing the lick/swallow thing, so I'd really appreciate it if you guys would take a look, and give me your opinion.

I took her to the vet straight away this morning, there before the Doctor! I explained to him that about 6 months ago she did this before, but not as bad, and we took her to the Vet. We had a picture taken to make sure she hadn't swallowed anything and had it lodged. Just to be sure, but everything was clear. He sent us home with some "cough medicine" and said that it was probably just her eating her food too fast. I just find it odd that she is having these symptoms again.

Our Vet is going to sedate her and use the scope to look down her throat to see whats going on.

****1/11 UPDATE****
    Just talked with the vet, he told me that she has massive ulcers in the roof of her mouth. Most likely caused from something viral, or immune related. He said the trachea, and esophagus all looked great. So he gave her a Cortisone shot, and is sending us home with some more cortisone pills. I also got him to check her urine to see if she had any kind of infection there, because she was doing the "long squat pee-and nothing dribble out" He said that's he's going to give us something to raise the acidity of her urine, so there will be less change for an infection to grow. I'll update you guys more when I go to pick her up.

****1/12 UPDATE****
    Well we were sent home with a schmorgasboard of meds. We are on Prednisone, Methio-form, and one other. I believe it's Cephalexin. It's like 5 pills in the morning, and then a few less at night. Poor thing, She dug everyone out of her food bowl and spit them out to the side. lol She usually doesn't have a problem eating them as normal. Looks like I'm going to have to trick her, and put it in bread or a big glob of p-nut butter lol. She is doing better, I'm just getting ready for the "pee-fest" we are about to have with her being on all of these Meds.

She was also treated for the hot-spots on her paws. Injected them with Cortisone I believe. The hardest part will be keeping her from curling her paws under and cleaning them. I think she is stressed out, and anxious as well. We have just recently moved back in with my parents, since Brad is going to school in Glasgow. He came home for Christmas, and then went back. She misses him. Sad really, she lays beside a pair of running shoes he left in our room. Thank you guys so much for caring. It's hard when your one and only child is sick, and people think you're crazy because "it's just a dog". And especially harder when you're "other-half" is 5000 miles away. Thanks for being here for us.
    Amber

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Baby is Sick! Vet Trip

Poor girl. I've never seen anything like it. Hope she's better soon.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I just want to say - what a great idea to take a video!!!!! So when she goes to the vet and she stops doing like (because they always do :-\) you can show them exactly what she was doing. Thanks for the great idea!!

I don't know. Tucker does that sometimes, but it's only for a second, usually when they're playing bitey face and I think he gets some excess slobber goobed up in his throat.

I'm interested to see what your vet says. Especially because of the spots on the roof of her mouth. I hope it's nothing.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Keeping my fingers crossed that Kaycie gets better soon. That is the strangest thing I've ever seen a lab do...keep us posted...hope it's nothing.

Thunders Mom is offline Senior Member

Thunder seems to do that when he is going to throw up or is trying not to throw up. I hope it's nothing.

It's not the destination, it's the journey!

Quote Originally Posted by jzgrlduff
    I just want to say - what a great idea to take a video!!!!! So when she goes to the vet and she stops doing like (because they always do :-\) you can show them exactly what she was doing. Thanks for the great idea!!
    This is so true! Because when I took her in this morning, she wasn't doing it! (of course...my lil hunnie pie wants to act like she's fine.) But I showed him my "evidence", and he could see what I meant. Because it is a hard symptom to describe.

The poor thing was scared to death when we went to the vet. The last trip was to be fixed, she cowered behind some chairs. I was like my goodness.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

So what does the vet think?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

That is exactly what Calie did when she had a burr stuck in her throat. (We suspected it was burrs b/c SU had some stuck to his shoelaces). We were able to give her peanut butter which made the burr stick to it and down it went.

k8show is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Baby is Sick! UPDATED

Yipes! Sounds uncomfortable for her. Hope the meds work and she feels better soon.
    Katie and Boo

DefaultRe: Baby is Sick! UPDATED

Oh my goodness...that poor baby!!

I hope the cortisone kicks in quickly and all goes well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast