Adoption Fee (? for rescues and adopters/potential adopters)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adoption Fee (? for rescues and adopters/potential adopters)

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultAdoption Fee (? for rescues and adopters/potential adopters)

For rescues - how do you/did you decide on the adoption fee for your dogs? Does it vary or a set price? What about a dog that needs ALOT of medical care?

For adopters or anyone who may one day adopt - how much is too much for a rescue dog? What would you feel is "fair"? Say for an adult dog (not too old but not a puppy)

all opinions welcomed.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Adoption Fee (? for rescues and adopters/potential adopters)

The humane society I volenteered at varied from $95 normally for adult dogs that were mixed breed larger dogs to $195 for full bred dogs and some puppies. I think it was pretty much set by the type of dog and their age more than by vet costs.

Well, some people are going to choke when I tell them what Billie's price was but I'll explain my justification for being willing to pay it. My dad ended up making it my 30th birthday present but I had saved up the money knowing I was going to get a dog from this particular program anyway.

$450 dollars.

She came out of a prison dog rescue program. Came spayed, all shots, basic obedience training, housebroken, and crate trained. The inmate that trained her had a daily journal detailing her every activity for the 30 days she was in the prison.

Here's my thought process: Spaying would've probably been $100 bucks depending on where I got it done, maybe more (it was WAY more when I had my first dog done in Memphis). Shots, obedience classes, the cost of cleaning up messes to housebreak her if she wasn't quite housebroken yet, cleaning up destruction, etc. Plus the adoption fee from a shelter around here for an adult dog is $75-100 dollars anyway. That puts me right into the $400 dollar range. I know the shelter is supposed to spay them before they leave but that's not always the case around here, and sometimes you end up paying for it on top of the adoption fee if the dog is a "high interest adoption". Depends on the situation. Billie had four other people looking at her on the day my dad had an appointment. He basically swiped her out from under families that were going to adopt her if he paused too long. Lucky me. ;D

Plus I got the "getting to know you" information from her journals. That information was invaluable to me, where rescuing from a shelter means starting from scratch and having to guess at the dogs personality quirks. I knew going in what Billie's quirks were and what I was getting into with her.

Anyway, I know that's a really high fee for what a lot of rescues charge. I like the prison programs though, and I couldn't find a rescue around here for Labs. Now that I know about Joe and Dani and some of the other folks on here, I'll probably go with a Lab from their rescue programs next time (if we can get that to work). If not, I'll pay that same fee again to go through the correctional program.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

It varies for us...but mostly we charge just a little over what we pay for in vet costs and microchipping fees (reg included). A dog that requires a ton of care is charged a fee that is reasonable and compriable to other dogs...no one would pay $800 for a rescue. FOr example, Gage's care was well over $2,000...we charged $200 for his adoption fee and we had a fundraiser for other fees...Karon from this board donated and the vet never charged us the full amount for him.

We try and stay in the $175 to $250 range for our dogs. Puppies are more because of the spay/neuter deposit on them.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

When I looked into rescuing last year, the fees ranged A LOT. To adopt from the city shelters (the pound) the fee was around $40 (the dogs came spayed/neutered and chipped) no matter the age of the dog.

At most of the rescues we looked at, the fees were around $250-$300, which seemed very reasonable to me. Personally, I would be willing to pay up to $400, as I look at it more as a donation to support rescue than as a "purchase".

One of the rescues I looked into, however, charged up to $750 for the most desirable dogs (puppies and purebreds). This is too high, IMO. I understand the need to cover their costs, but if their costs are that high, they need to look into other forms of funding besides adoption costs.

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

The rescue I got Lexi from in 2005 charged $300. I believe the adoption fee is now $350.

I thought this was reasonable. It included any vet care she'd received before I got her, micro-chipping, spaying, as well as the cost to transporting her from Louisiana to Pennsylvania.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

All adopted at around $275 regardless of the medical care they required. If it's extensive, they usually ask for donations towards that particular dog and do fund raisers. Not sure what the protocol is now, but in the past, I believe seniors were $25 less. Most all lab rescues in the area are around that same price and up to around $350. If you adopt directly from the shelter, I believe it ranges all over the place under $100 depending on if the dog is spayed/neutered and how "remote"the shelter is. Of course, licensed rescues can pull free from shelters.

We just paid $300.00 to adopt Riley and then another $300.00 to our vet to get him antibiotics and x-rays. He is so happy in our home with his big brother Buddy. Seems like a small price to pay to help a Labby.
    Wish I could figure out to post a picture of my boys. Apparently I'm not very computer smart.

Mom of Buddy & Riley

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

We charge $125 which includes microchipping, vet exam, spay/neuter, shots, and they are up to date on flea and heartworm preventative. We also sell up to one year of heartworm preventative at cost. If we have a dog who needs surgery we try to raise the money through outside sources. We are able to keep the adoption fee a little lower because have an arrangement with the vet we use. We house and adopt out rescue dogs who are brought in to their office and they provide the medical care.

Brigetta was a stray that I found. I brought her to a local rescue (initially I was going to foster her). When I decided to keep her I adopted her for myself, they only charged me $100.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Seventeen years ago I made a donation of $75 To LRCP for Tucson my last lab. In 2003 I paid $250 to LRR for Nellie. They make exceptions in cases where they think a home will be great but the folks can't afford a big donation. I figured that $250 more than covered their costs with Nellie since they only had her for about 2 weeks. They did spay her and chip her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast