Diarrhea - how long until you feed again?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diarrhea - how long until you feed again?

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultDiarrhea - how long until you feed again?

As mentionned in other threads, Jake began some bad diarrhea Monday night. I fed him Tuesday morning (oops). No feeding Tuesday night or this morning and I haven't fed him yet (It's Wednesday night). Diarrhea was bad on tuesday day AND night. Tuesday night I noticed some red spots (blood) but have been told it's likely as he's so stressed his stomach lining is bleeding. Anyway, today there were no accidents but a few wet poops during our walks.

Do I feed now (of course, just a small feeding of rice and boiled beef) or wait?

His energy seems fine (as far as I can tell) and he seems to be otherwise good. Oh and he was neutered on Friday.

Thanks!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Diarrhea - how long until you feed again?

What was he eating before he got to you, and what are you feeding him now.

I have never had diarrhea issues, but if I did, I doubt I could starve a dog that long. Can't you get him some I/D or something? How about a little pumpkin, straight up?

I probably would have done the wrong thing and just kept feeding him, he's not going to relax as long as he's hungry.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Yes, give him a small feed of rice and boiled beef or chicken. If he seems okay in the morning, give him a larger portion, then a few feedings during the day if you can. Watch his poops to see if they are firming up.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I like to withhold the morning meal and then feed nor more than 1/2 the evening meal (broken up into 2 very small meals about 2-3 hours apart (1/4 each meal)) and then a full meal the next morning. So 24 hours before they get any food at all.

Inever have had any success with the rice and chicken stuff....

Ok so I guess he has waited long enough and will be fed as soon as I am finished typing! (it's been 24 hrs). You are right Melissa - he won't relax if he's starving.

He is on Natural Choice large breed adult and I am 99% sure that is what he was on with his initial owner (they brought the bag with him).

His poops are still diarrhea though so my fear is eating will just make it come out fiercely again.

brody is offline Senior Member

make sure you feed him a SMALL meal :P ( like 1/4 of normal)
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

he got 1 cup (1/3 beef, 2/3 rice). I can' imagine going smaller than that! I am unfortunately out of pumpkin, ack! will get some tomorrow.

Hope the small meal makes him feel better. Good luck!

Bev.

brody is offline Senior Member

pumpkin can be a loosener too - I wouldn't honestly try too much all at once (some dogs can't tolerate rice..others can't tolerate beef..)

having been through a a bit of a difficult time with a foster dog fairly recently I really can only suggest taking it SLOW and making SURE you are working from the healthiest base (no parasites) possible

hang in there and let us know what happens
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

I've never starved one...I have a foster pup that had the runs the first night I had her after being dewormed. I fed her rice with pumpkin for one day, on day 2 added chicken and on day three added kibble.
    I've had a ton of fosters and never had one to have runs for days and days unless there was something else going on. Hookworms can cause blood in the stool.
    How long since he was dewormed? If he had hooks and had a bad case, he could need it again in 2-3 weeks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast