Neoprene Vests = Reduced Injuries

Thread: Neoprene Vests = Reduced Injuries

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeoprene Vests = Reduced Injuries

A lot of hunters disagree with me about the use of neoprene vests for their Lab to wear while hunting in colder temperatures and especially in cold water. Some feel it's too risky that the dawg could get hung up in underwater snags and branches. I know the water we hunt very well and there are no such objects in it.

My two always wear a camo neoprene vest when the temps drop into the 30s, they will be in and out of the water, there is a wind blowing and they will be sitting most of the day. That pretty much describes duck hunting conditions here in N TX.

There are two other main benefits besides keeping the dawg warm and avoiding hypothermia (and some believe cold water tail as well) by wearing a vest. For a yellow Lab it does help break up their "bright" coat which can spook ducks. But more importantly, if you have hard chargers like my two ... that think they can run through ice, briar patches and barbed wire fences with complete immunity ... then the vest also helps protect the skin from some nasty cuts and tears that may otherwise require sutures.

I just got done doing late season repair surgery on Cappy's vest. Imagine if this had been his skin rather than tough fabric over a 5MM neoprene liner ...

Remi and Rusty aren't my whole life. They're trying to fill the hole in my heart left by Cappy's passing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Neoprene Vests = Reduced Injuries

I agree Jim. Both of our girls wear the neoprene vests when duck hunting. I agree...it saves the skin, plus we got the one that has extra protection on the chest. Isn't there also a bit of bouyency to them.? Abby is a real hard charger & even though DH tries to check out the water....you just never know what may be lurking below. I like the way Molly goes into the water...slow. Abby just takes off with a flying leap when sent. :

My husband has tried to order one from Cabelas for Maggie and they have been out of stock for awhile now. Bummer. He has been looking so forward to getting one for her too.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by hifive
    My husband has tried to order one from Cabelas for Maggie and they have been out of stock for awhile now. Bummer. He has been looking so forward to getting one for her too.
    Try Bass Pro Shop
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=TOP_SEARCH_GO

or

Macks Prarie Wings
    http://www.mackspw.com/ItemList--Hun...s-Boots--m-739

or my personal favorite, Gun Dog Supply
    http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bi...e%20dog%20vest
    Remi and Rusty aren't my whole life. They're trying to fill the hole in my heart left by Cappy's passing.

Thank you so much for the links (I think?) I'm really afraid to show my husband the websites - another place for him to shop :P

When I get home I will show him and I'm sure he will order the vest for Maggie. Again, thank you very much for your quick response. Hopefully we will have some pictures of Maggie in her vest soon!

patm is offline Senior Member

I have a question for those of you that have their dogs wear any kind of vest. I have a bright orange one from Cabelas that is fitted and has extra "scratch restistence" in the chest area. It is for wearing through brush,etc. but I bought it just to wear during hunting season so people could see us when we walk in the woods. It fits him properly, but he always manages to get a lot of urine on it when he pees. He does have a wee winky and he either pees on the outside of it, or sometimes if it droops a little (no matter how tight I get it) he sometimes pees "INSIDE IT" and then we have a puddle of urine pour out when I take it off and he tummy is soaked! I just wondered if anyone else had this problem with their male dogs?

I wouldn't have that problem because obviously Maggie is a girl, but what about cutting the fabric around wee-wee?

Quote Originally Posted by hifive
    I wouldn't have that problem because obviously Maggie is a girl, but what about cutting the fabric around wee-wee?
    That's exactly what I've had to do woth several of the vests for my male dawgs. In addition to making sure thay don't chafe at the neck or leg openings (armpits are the worst for that), you have to make sure the penis easily clears the vest end.

I just took a pic of Cappy in his vest on the table so you could see the under belly fit.

and this is what the vest looks like turned inside out after it has been properly trimmed to fit him

patm is offline Senior Member

I think I'll try cutting it - it doesn't chafe him, but he is so "little" that the urine just doesn't clear it! :-\

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

I can argue either side of the "keeps them warmer" argument. But I hunt around too many beaver dams and cypress knees NOT to put one on my dogs to protect thier tummies from sharp pointy objects. I saw a lab impaled on a cypress knee once, and will never be able to get that image out of my mind.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg