Bonding with your puppy issues?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bonding with your puppy issues?

Tia
    Tia is offline Senior Member

DefaultBonding with your puppy issues?

We have a 4 month old puppy and it just now seems like my husband is finally starting to like him and enjoys having him more so than at first! Maybe it is because Gauge was too small at first to really do anything with and now that he's getting better at retrieving and obedience/manners, hubby likes him more? ???

Do you think it takes awhile for some family members to "bond" with the puppy? I guess for me, it was instant...I mean how could you not fall in love with such a cute ball of fur!?

I love my husband dearly but it seems like I have grown and taught the pup, and now hubby is reaping the rewards of my hard work :-\ (lol sounds like I am resentful but I totally am not...just not sure how to phrase it)

Just wondering if this has happened with anyone else here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Bonding with your puppy issues?

Bitter, party of one? ;D ;D
    (I'm SO kidding!!!!)

I was/am the trainer, feeder, walker, etc. of both boys but my husband loves them tremendously and would do anything for them (he does walk them every morning, I do it at night). I don't mind at all. I think that's good actually, because they know who the "pack leader" is, know what I mean?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

When we got Rush, my hubby wasn't really interested in getting another dog. Our girl Doodle passed away 6 months prior to Rush joining our family and he wasn't ready to make room in his heart for her. She totally bonded with me since she was to be 'my' dog and to be perfectly honest, it was love at first sight for Rush and I. She has always been our dog but I'm her person and she is my heart dog. When we got Boo, (hubby was feeling left out I think ;D) she was to be 'his' dog. I played with her, loved her and did the majority of the training however, at night when he was home I stepped back to allow him to be the person she bonded with most closely. She is just as loving to me as Rush but hubby is her person so it worked out well. She is a spoiled Daddy's girl. And yes, it does seem that we do all the work, and they reap the benefits. :

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jan elaine Guest

I can relate. From the start it was- "this is your dog", "thats not my job its your dog". Ugh!! To be fair he did not want another dog or pet of any kind. And I did. So I just went out and got my girl. I fell in love hard and fast. Now that she has been around for 3 weeks he is softing up. He will play with her for a little while in the evenings. And he did say that when she was bigger "she and Daddy were going for a ride in the jeep without Mama" ??? :.

I think it's common. Especially with someone that didn't really want or were not ready for another dog at the time.
    I'm the caregiver in our family my husband loves the dogs and will love on them and play with them a bit but that's about it. If he gets home first he will let them out and feed them but that's rare. The big dogs follow me everywhere. He does more with HIS yorkie but still is not as responsible for him as I wish he was sometimes. The yorkie will sit on my lap if I'm sitting down stairs with them before he goes to DH. :-\

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Okay! This is interesting. Kind of a different story here. Hershey Kisses is DW's dog. She decided she wanted a Chocolate Lab and told me to get one. Gave that a few weeks, she isn't a Lab type of gal. The demand stuck and we have HK. HER DOG!

Okay! We both go to Puppy School and learn how to train. I was the one in the ring with HK, she watched. She didn't want to be embarrassed when HK didn't listen. She did train at home with me. HK is attached to me. Period. The End. Oops! Mom has food, bye Dad. Okay! Lets take food out of the mix. I have done the training, spent the time with her, take her to the dog parks. But if Mom talks to her, she is all Mom's. HK really wiil spend the time with the one that can spend time with her at the moment. She responds to either one of us giving direction which is super in my mind. Am I jealous when HK goes to her or with her? No way! If we both didn't want her, it would not be good for her or us. If everything is idle at the house, seldom since her arrival, she will generally lay with me. I believe that is because she anticipates some kind of activity to come from me sooner.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

georgie is offline Senior Member

I understand. After our last lab died, I wasn't getting another lab...ever..end of story. Well after a couple months of an empty house, I was ready. DH wasn't ready. We went to see the pups. We had pick of the litter. I wanted another black girl. Well once DH held her it was love at first site. We both went to obedience class, but DH did most of the training. She became a holy terror.....biting at my ankles, biting holes in my pj bottoms. : I wasn't even sure I liked her anymore & swore she hated me.

Well she grew up, the biting stoped & she turned into a real sweetheart. I guess I reaped the benefits of his early training. So yes....sometimes it may take awhile. Molly is still daddy's girl. Crazy isn't it? I was the one who suggested we get another lab & turns out they bonded closer then I ever imagined.

brody is offline Senior Member

It took my hubby a FULL year to like (at all) the munchkin in my siggy pictute...

HAHAHAHAHAHA

he's actually pretty good about the dogs and loves them all but we often find it takes one of us longer then the other to fall for them - and we don't love them all the same way

http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Janna and Boomer is offline Senior Member

You know, I wasn't immediately bonded to Boomer. My husband was right away, but I was more traumatized by the experience of raising my first puppy. I didn't even realize that I loved him until later! :-\ I'm ashamed to say it, but the housetraining stuff was hard on me...once we were out of the worst of it, I enjoyed him a lot more. Now I cannot imagine me without him.

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

Yup, I can relate. I am my Rowan's everything ~ I fed, cuddle, play, walk, train her. I also reap the rewards too as she prefers me over my husband! LOL!
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast