Walking your dog at night
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walking your dog at night

DefaultWalking your dog at night

Hi everyone! Haven't posted for a while but lurk and catch up on everyone every day.

My Sammie is 3 years old. In his first three years, he was attacked only once on a walk by a standard unfixed poodle. No damage done and soon forgotten.

This winter, we've had three incidents walking on the dark in a large field area near my home. This is a major off-leash area that everyone enjoys. During the day, dogs come up and play and its a great place for long walks.

The first incident involved a black pit bull cross. When it came running up to us in the dark I thought it was a black lab so didn't worry as it approached Sam. The dog attacked sammie. I stepped in front of sam and screamed at the dog. Its owner was yelling too. The dog left. Sam wasn't hurt but the dog sure sounded ferocious.

I decided to keep sam on leash for these walks so I could keep better control of the situation. A weimeriner and a australian sheep dog have also ran up barking in the dark. Both times I had Sam sit behind me and I yelled at the dogs. This worked pretty well.

Last night i was just finishing up our walk, Sam on leash, when this giant black schnauzer came out of nowhere. I am familiar with him...he barks ferociously whenever we walk past his yard. He attacked Sam. I screamed at him as did his owner. She grapped her dog. I looked sam over. he was fine except for a little tuft of loose fur on his side. The lady had a friend with her who started making over sam...he went over and gave her a kiss and cuddled into her. I wasn't smiling. Sam is the gentlest dog I've ever known. He has never humped and has never started anything with any dog. What if this changes him? Am I overreacting when no damage is done?

Does everyone else think dogs are more aggressive at night? Hurry Spring. Thanks for the rant and listening.

Have you had similar experiences, and have you noticed a changed in your dog(s) behavior? Is this temporary or permanent?

Julie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Walking your dog at night

Sorry you've been having trouble with the other dogs. It sounds like your doing the right thing by keeping him on leash I would try to avoid that area if possible. I know it stinks to not be able to enjoy it because of them but it's better than having him injured. Do you carry any type of mace or a baton or anything incase it gets worse or the owners are not around? If not I would start.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I think it's wise to keep your Sam on a leash in a place like that. Is there some safer place to go?

If you can't find a safer place to go, I suggest you carry either a stout walking stick to beat other attacking dogs with OR something like Guard Alaska Bear Repellent (stronger than mace and shoots 20-25 feet). Or maybe an electric cattle prod?

There's not only the danger of a psychological trauma but a puncture wound.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I will never call Hershey Kisses aggressive, neither will anyone that has met her. If I am out at night and my next door neighbor comes home, parks in their driveway, and gets out to walk into the house. HK will take a stance and bark at him/her. It is not a friendly bark. This has happened every time since she was a pup. Exact same scenario in the daylight, as a pup she would would run over to say hello and play. over the past few months with better understanding or the property line, she will sit attentively with no barking. I guess she is somewhat more protective or fearful in the dark. Not sure which.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

What the hell is wrong with these people having aggressive dogs off leash in public?! > > I hope you gave the owners a piece of your mind!!! Sheesh, somebody could really get hurt. Thank goodness Sammy didn't.

I don't have any personal experience with this, so I don't know about long-term effects (affects?) on his behavior. I hope it doesn't though.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Trickster is offline Senior Member

You are definitely NOT over reacting. People that let poor tempered and aggressive dogs off leash disgust me.

Aggression has little to do with time of day or light conditions. A dog won't 'turn' more aggressive simply because it is dark. What I can imagine is that these irresponsible idiots think that because it is dark, they won't see anyone else out walking, which actually couldn't be further from the truth. Most people who work during the day have no choice other than to take their dogs out in the dark AM and PM at this time of the year.

If I could carry pepper spray (or an alternative - it is illegal in the country) you bet I would. I suggest you do the same.

jan elaine Guest

I think if your dog continually is being attacked on these walks he could become reluctant to go on them. My last lab was attacked once on a walk ( minding our own business when this german shepard dragged its owner across the street and bit Amber). She wouldn't go out of our neighborhood for several weeks after that. I'd personally find a different place to go if you can or like the others said, get a big stick and use it!!

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I am sorry this has happened to you.

I am not sure if this helps.
    A dog at the dog club used to go for Kassa every time we walked in. As Kassa was black she was hard to see at night and I put a blinking collar on her. The aggressive dog was frightened of it. Never went near her again.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

I think I would find another place to walk my dog. That is horrible and I would think it would eventually affect your dog if it keeps happening. I do think the darkness does make a difference - I notice Moose gets more spooked when it is dark on our morning walks.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

If you are walking at night, the blinking led collars are a great idea especially if you are walking off lead. Independent of a possible stay away signal to these more agressive dogs. That could just be a big bonus.

HK is grreat about staying on the property, and darn good on recall, but I still put the blinking collar on her. If she does bolt after a deer or something and being as dark a brown as she is, it will make her a little more visible to cars.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast