Class tomorrow
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Class tomorrow

Callaway is offline Senior Member

DefaultClass tomorrow

Ok, I think I have everything i need exept for the martingale collar I ordered waaay before Christmas > and still dont have!(It might come today fingers crossed)
    Hot dogs for treats- (cooked or uncooked?)
    Vaccination papers
    Water and bowl for after class

Also, I dont want to starve him, but he eats breakfast at 8ish sometimes earlier depending when he gets up. Class is at 10. He gets 2 cups in the morning should I just give him 1cup so hes hungry for treats? I only ask because if hes distracted its real hard to get him to pay attenton treat or not.
    Sorry to sound so DUH but I havent been to OB class for14 yrs. And Im getting nervous!

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Class tomorrow

A lot of trainers will ask you to withold food immediately before class , but I've never done it... most labs are so food-motivated that it really doesn't matter. (make sure the treats are high value)

You might cut his meal in half, if you think he won't focuss at all - the first class is almost always chaotic anyway, and none of the dogs will really concentrate until they get the routine down. Have fun!

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I got to the point where I had to just use Baloo's food and subract from his next meal, as he was getting diarrhea from all the extra treats.  : :-X

I also bought a travel bag that I use just for class supplies, it has a few different lengths/thickness leashes and a few different collars. I also have a treat pouch that I don't remember how I functioned training without it.  8)

In my training bag I also have a few select tug toys that are used exclusively for training and a clicker, as well as some poop bags. (cause you never know.... ) (also have a dumbell and food tubes to use for scent discrimination, but you probably won't need those.)

I think that covers it, have fun!! 
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blackjack is offline Senior Member

Good list! Our class is at night (7:30) and they didn't want them to have dinner before but at the first class she said it would be okay if they had a biscuit a couple hours before class to hold them over. BJ usually eats at 6 so that was a late dinner for him. I have to find a toy to bring to our next class. She said something small, but I am thinking not a tennis ball.

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Don't be nervous, others will have never been to a puppy class. It will be fun.

Here are the guidelines our instructor provided for training treats. They worked pretty well for us.

(1) SMALL, 1/4 cubes are more than enough
    (2) Does not require any chew, don't want dog to stop to chew and lose focus
    (3) Save high value for outside work, off leash work (For us that would be hot dogs) We actually bought a small bag of very small kibble and used that for training treats, HK loved it.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

What is the toy for , if you dont mind me asking? I also have a longer lead should I take it too?

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile

Here are the guidelines our instructor provided for training treats. They worked pretty well for us.

(3) Save high value for outside work, off leash work (For us that would be hot dogs) We actually bought a small bag of very small kibble and used that for training treats, HK loved it.
    I had thought about taking food (kibble) but when I use it around home for training I usually get a huge GAG because he just swallows it anyway! But I could get moist pieces right?

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bogey 1
    What is the toy for , if you dont mind me asking? I also have a longer lead should I take it too?
    I use the toy as a reward instead of food sometimes to switch it up. Works well for heeling especially, Baloo knows he better watch me close cause I might drop treat/pull out toy/throw toy/start running, etc. Keeps his focus. 

Also, I have a strong 6 foot leash, a teeny tiny really thin 4 foot leash and a tiny 2 foot leash that I use a lot for heeling work. Most of our work is done on the four footer.

ETA: These are the toys I use with Baloo. I tuck it under my arm or hide it out of his site somehow and either throw it for him or play a quick game of tug. He LOVES these things.

Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bogey 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Endofile

I had thought about taking food (kibble) but when I use it around home for training I usually get a huge GAG because he just swallows it anyway! But I could get moist pieces right?
    Not an expert, can't really say. See what works for you and what your instructor says, how your dog reacts. I showed up with cut up (1/4 inch) pieces of Snausages Snacks (soft and moist). Instructor took them away from me and handed me something else to use that night. Told me they were too rich, HK would be getting a lot of them during a training session and I shouldn't upset her tummy. IMPORTANT NOTE: (I think) I noted to her that some of the other dogs were getting similar treats. Response was, 'THEY ARE NOT LABS. THEY ARE NO WHERE NEAR AS FOOD MOTIVATED. LEARN TO TRUST ME, I AM WORKING FOR YOUR SUCCESS AND WILL DO NOTHING TO HARM YOUR DOG.' I went through three sequences with her. I did learn to trust her. She was really good at keeping me in line.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Focus, HA! I hope that is one thing he takes from this class.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast