It's not easy being Jake (or his foster mom)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's not easy being Jake (or his foster mom)

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultIt's not easy being Jake (or his foster mom)

Beware - this is just a "i need to vent" thread.

It's been a long 24hrs.

I got completely lost driving to the new flyball class yesterday. Took an hour to get there in the dark, foggy, rainy night on country roads. Arrived 10mins late (yeah I left really early figuring i'd get lost). I had TWO maps and directions. I have been there before (in the day, not driving myself). Jake was stressing in the back - probably due to feeling ME stress.

I haven't slept well since Jake arrived. Last night I was fed up and closed the door to my room (he was in the living room, Rocky in bed with me). Sigh. Big mistake. I woke up to a total mess. Pee, Poo, Diahreah AND vomit. Sigh. Go to work, come back at lunch - more diarhea. Go to work, come back at 4...more diahreah. Go for a run with Rocky, come back - more diarhea. Go to therapy with Rocky - puke.

I'm hoping it's all stress related and clears up. He hasn't eaten since this AM so hopefully no more messes tonight. I do not doubt he is house trained - he lets me know when he needs to go out and certainly seems to get it.

I don't dislike Jake for any of this. I don't blame him. I'm just tired. I'm scared i'm messing up somehow.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: It's not easy being Jake (or his foster mom)

has he been to the vet at all?

poor jake. poor you. Could you move the crate in your bedroom, maybe he'd like to be closer to you? and you'd know if he needed to go out....

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Tanya, Jake sounds exactly like Yeller was the (ready for this?) the first 6 months we had her. She was so nervous/anxious and had such tummy troubles because of it. She's one of those dogs who gets stressed easily.

I do hope Jake's stress issues don't last as long, but I felt I should tell ya the truth with Yellie and not sugar coat it. It was a LONG six months. SU wanted to rehome her lots during that time, but I knew she'd be okay if we stuck it out.

Jake's probably just trippin'.

Big hugs to you.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

He was at the vet for his neuter on Friday (released Saturday). The area is abit red but not enough to worry me (I think).

I assumed last night was just a case of stress - I will check with my rescue contact tomorrow what she thinks (and might call my vet to see what they say over the phone - but my vet is not the one he saw).

My plan for tonight is as you described - bring the crate in my room and put him in it. Other than that i'm low on options (other than letting him on my bed as he wants).

I'm tired. I guess I wasn't expecting this. With a puppy you assume you will be missing sleep and will be doing clean up but I guess I wasn't exposed to dogs suffering from anxiety like this. Rocky was just gung ho wherever he went and never really seemed stressed -but he has a different personality and is a very different dog.

Quote Originally Posted by TangerineFizz
    Tanya, Jake sounds exactly like Yeller was the (ready for this?) the first 6 months we had her. She was so nervous/anxious and had such tummy troubles because of it. She's one of those dogs who gets stressed easily.

I do hope Jake's stress issues don't last as long, but I felt I should tell ya the truth with Yellie and not sugar coat it. It was a LONG six months. SU wanted to rehome her lots during that time, but I knew she'd be okay if we stuck it out.

Jake's probably just trippin'.

Big hugs to you.
    Oh my GAWD! six month? of diarhea? Did you try any calming remedies?

I hope it gets better for you..I'm sure it's also because he is trying to settle in too.

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

hey, vent away. We know you care..but it is tough.

hang in there. Hope Jake starts feeling a bit better.

georgie is offline Senior Member

No advice. Just sending good thoughts to you. Poor fella seems maybe like he is stressed. Hopefully he will settle in soon.

No advice either, just (((((HUGS))))) Tanya!! Hang in there!!

brody is offline Senior Member

disrupted sleep is the ONE thing nobody told about when I started fostering - nearly EVERY time I have a new animal in the house I have awful sleep til they settle into the new routines

If you find the lack of sleep really distressing (I have at times) set your alarm for 1 or 2 am and let dog out ... then go back to sleep - I have had up to three alarms scattered aroudn the room at different times as I now don't wake up enough to change the alarm

the puke and poop everywhere still turns my stomach on occasion and with Sally I have come home to walls, crates, furniture PAINTED with Gunk... I will never get over that

my sympathy and true empathy

vent away

do make sure he's been wormed (or get him wormed) and try more frequent smaller meals if his tummy is turning with stress
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast