jagger ate some rocks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jagger ate some rocks

Defaultjagger ate some rocks

Hi, I am new here. My 13 week old pup started vomiting this morning. He stopped and was acting normal and then after lunch he began to vomit again and couldn't stop. I took him strait to the vet. They did an ex-ray and there in his belly amoung the leaves sticks and birdseed are two rocks from around our pool! It has been warm here and the snow melted really fast so he has been into everything. I whatch him out side. I don't know how he got the rocks. The vet seems to think he might be able to pass them. He is staying there tonight and they will give him fluids and re ex=ray tomorrow. Has anyone else had anything like this happen?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: jagger ate some rocks

Welcome to the world of mouthy Lab puppies! Sorry to hear that Jagger is sick. Unfortunately, this is pretty common Lab puppy behavior. Retrievers are bred to be oral compulsives--everything and anything goes into their mouths for investigation. Sometimes it goes down the hatch, too.

My Theo ate more than his share of small rocks as a puppy, too. When he was about 4 months old he needed an X-ray, and we could see a bunch of them in his stomach. The vet said that they should pass, and they did, because the next time he needed an X-ray they weren't there. They never seemed to cause any trouble for him.

All you can really do is just teach him good "leave it" and "drop it" commands, and be vigilant. Most puppies outgrow the rock-eating phase. I hope that the rocks aren't causing a blockage--our vet told us that small ones are usually OK, but larger ones can cause a blockage and require surgery. Good thoughts for your puppy!

Welcome to the board. Hope everything goes well and they aren't too large of rocks and he passes them. Keep us updated.

ps: Wait until he eats poop :P

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry your pup is at the vets. I know you must be terrible worried.

I have rocks around my pool too. I was constantly telling Remington to "leave it" and "No rocks" when he was little. I think it helped as he pretty much ignores the rocks (but he will eat acrons that are among the rocks). Magnum and Ruger ignore the rocks too.

Hoping your pup will pass the rocks. Then when you get him home, work on "leave it"

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

My guys have never eaten rocks (that I know of ) but I hope your guy will be fine !

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

Teddy is a rock eater also. So far no damage. I can't tell you how many I have pried out of his mouth. It is to the point that I have purchased pet insurance for him, because I know that one of these days he is going to have obstruction surgery!
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

georgie is offline Senior Member

These labs will eat anything . I hope your little pup passes them. Please let us know how he is doing.

Welcome to the forum. Sorry you are experiencing this.
    I had a bit of a scare with Oakley a few days after she came home so
    I know you you feel.
    Give the Training Tips and Puppy advice thread a read, it has lots of good info.

Get better quick little pup!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Okay! Nobody has come right out to say. Fortunately, HK has never swallowed any rocks. We have some small river rock for landscape grond cover and I have always watched her when she was near them I have pulled many rocks ot of her mouth and a couple out of her throat.

I say this only so that you should know. I have read too many stories here about dogs that have had multiple obstruction removal surgeries to get rocks and other things out of the intestines. It can be very serious. I pay very close attention to what HK gets in her motuh when outside. I am probably too careless inside.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

well he is home today with pepcid. The vet seems to think he will pass the stones. As we are leaving the vets office they also have landscape stones all in front of the place and jag is pulling and snifffing I was so afraid he would get one. I don't know how I am going to keep him out of them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast