Simply stated, I HATE TICKS!

Thread: Simply stated, I HATE TICKS!

DefaultSimply stated, I HATE TICKS!

Is a fine 50+ deg. day here in New England and got the first doggie tick already.
    Yup, went for a hour walk and on the pup's forhead I plucked one of those blood thirsty devils. I subjected it to the most cruel and scruciating deaths I could muster too.
    I simply hate the blasted things even more after loosing my Becca to Lyme last spring.
    Just administered the last dose of Frontline about 5 days ago and have some new Advantix coming in the mail soon ("ain't no bugs on me" - thing).
    Besides this and brushings, what else do folks do against ticks?
    Not wanting to bring them home and brush them off in the yard or have them repelled in the truck, yard etc. What else can be done?
    Is there some ancient concoction that can be fed, wiped on, sprayed that will actually repell the danged things before they get on?
    Interested in any and all tricks you folks may use.
    Just don't want to loose anouther good dog to Lyme.
    Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Simply stated, I HATE TICKS!

I haven't had a tick oh HK using Frontline Plus in season. We certainly have them here.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Personal experience forthcoming -- I have had better luck with Advantix than Frontline. Both say they will kill the ticks within 48 hours -- but Advantix says it repels them. I have definitely found ticks on Shelby when using Frontline, but haven't with Advantix. I live in a very tick infested area. I hope you have a similar experience -- they are some nasty critters!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I've never found any on Mocha or Zeus (or Smeagol but he's not out much) while using Frontline Plus. We definatly have ticks around here but they are not out in the woods very much mostly it's our back yard or neighborhood or my parents house and field. I've found some on me when camping with them but not on them.

Good luck.

Just applied Advantage to Maggie and the cats the other day. Your best bet is to be sure to keep up on it as directed. We live in California so we have the potential for fleas and ticks year round. I'm not sure if ticks can live in that cold of weather (snow, freezing weather). I also found that Advantage works better than Frontline for ticks. Ticks are so nasty. I hate it when they fill up with blood and double in size. EEEWWWWW.

(edited to say that I use Advantage instead of Advantix)
    sorry about the mixup :P

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

I echo your revulsion. It's near to 70o here, and I stopped giving Wesley Frontline back in November during the first hard frost. Guaranteed within the next few days, he's gonna have one of those sumbitches stuck to him somewhere. Bhghghghghghghghghghgh.

Quote Originally Posted by hifive
    Just applied Advantix to Maggie and the cats the other day. Your best bet is to be sure to keep up on it as directed. We live in California so we have the potential for fleas and ticks year round. I'm not sure if ticks can live in that cold of weather (snow, freezing weather). I also found that Advantix works better than Frontline for ticks. Ticks are so nasty. I hate it when they fill up with blood and double in size. EEEWWWWW.
    I do hope you didn't meant Advantix. NOT FOR CATS.

Thank you chowhound for watching out for me and my cats. I did mean Advantage and not Advantix. Sorry