Is our dog fat?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is our dog fat?

DefaultIs our dog fat?

I might post this in H&N too but for now here it's here...SU said yesterday he thinks Clarence is getting fat. I disagree. Unfortunately, I don't have any good pictures of him on my work computer. He has an indent where his hips are, and I can feel his ribs if I run my hands along his sides. He's on the short side, so I think he looks pretty "stocky" but not fat. He gets fed 1 3/4 cups of dry food (Timberwolf) twice a day and has maybe 1-2 doggie biscuits per day, a bully stick maybe once per week and a cream cheese frozen Kong 2-3 times per month. I also give him some baby carrots to munch here and there when I'm making dinner. He gets lots of exercise at doggie daycare and I walk him a few miles each day on the weekends. SU takes him with the ChuckIt to the park sometimes too. Last time he was weighed (about 2 months ago) he was 76 pounds. He'll be two in Feb. What are good alternative snacks? I have haven't tried green beans yet but I will. What about the amount of food he's getting? How much do you all feed? I'll check H&N too. TIA.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thunders Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Is our dog fat?

DH "thinks" Simba, called "ChunkyMonkey" right now is. I don't! But currently on weight management food and "trying" to watch what we feed her outside of meals. She (show) is so much different than Thunder (field) and I can't get that thru DH head! >

It's not the destination, it's the journey!

Ehhh I don't think he's fat just from what you're describing. Just as a comparison, Billie is 65 pounds and is probably taller than Clarence and I noticed the other day, she's WAY too skinny. I want to keep her lean, but not THIS lean. So, bulking up the babygirl is on my to-do list.

Try green beans. Billie will knock me over when the can opener turns on. I've been known to sneak her a piece or two of stew meat (raw) when I'm making chili or burnt ends, and whatever veggies I'm using she usually gets a bite or two of as well. She gets a pb kong virtually every day (not full, maybe a tablespoon or two). Oh yeah and she gets 3/4 of a cup of EVO twice a day.

As long as you can feel his ribs and he has a waist, I think that's good. He's a boy, and he's stocky. If he was 85 pounds and a barrel that might be different.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

You really need to post a couple of good pictures - one from the side and, if you have it, one from above.

Bella

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I have an unconventional method of gaging when my dogs get a bit chubby. I make him sit nice and square. If he has folds over his haunches, he can lose some weight. Kind of like we humans can stretch out when we're standing to appear slimmer, but if you sit down and there is hangage over your skirt or pants belt, you can stand to lose some weight.

That said, 75 lbs for a show-bred Lab does not necessarily sound overweight. I keep Scotty at around 70-75 lbs.

It's impossible to tell if your dog is fat from a description of what he eats. If you can feel his ribs and if he has a good indention at the waist then no he is not fat.

Not all Labs are built alike. Example.
    Here is a picture of Dan and many would say he looks fat becuase he's not the type Lab they are used to seeing. These were taken on the same day.

Here is a picture taken earlier that week. You can actually count 4 of his ribs through his coat (which is not good IMO)

Here's a picture taken from the top.

Dan eats 8-10 cups of performance food a day. If I were to post that my dog eats 8-10 cups of performance food a day plus liver treats and lamb bites many would say he would be fat. If I were to post a picture of him where he looks stocky, many would say he looks fat. I know he is not because I see and feel his ribs and waist everyday.

From your post I do not think your dog is fat.

I'll try and get some good pics when I get home. He is from show lines and his parents were both around 85 lbs. I think his shortness makes him look chubby. :-\

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I think Clarence sounds perfect! Frankie looks like a tick from the back when he's sitting down, but when he's standing he looks very defined and I can feel ribs. He could stand to lose probably 5 pounds.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Page- what do you feed?? 8-10 cups of food is a ton

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I don't belong answering here, there are some real experts and I think you have heard from them. But this is what I have from my vet, and others.
    With the dog standing, you should be able to feel his/her ribs at the widest point or above without excessive pressure. You should not be able to see his/her ribs. You should see a tummy tuck from the side (Don't let fur confuse you) and a waist from above.
    For whats its worth, that is what my vet says.

8-10 cups of food a day???? Wow! HK get 3/4 cup twice a day. Definitely enough exercise, and is not skinny. I know Kcal/cup varies a lot, but wow! That seems like a lot of food.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast