Do your dogs discriminate?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do your dogs discriminate?

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultDo your dogs discriminate?

I've been thinking about this quite a bit, and another thread reminded me to post about it.

Baloo goes nutso over goldens, and I have no idea why. It's not like he has a special friend that is a golden or anything.... There are a few in our regular dogpark "club", but there are also labs, dobes, shepherds, a few mixes of this that and the other thing, etc. And it's not like he only plays with the goldens, either. He pretty well plays with whomever is up for playing.

He loves most other dogs (except boxers, he's a little nervous around them, but only because he's come into contact with a few really pushy boxers) and he's always happy to see/play with any dog(s). BUT. He just has the weird obsession with goldens. There were a few in our last class and he was really distracted by them, but not by the rottie or the shepherd. If we see a golden on our walk he will stand at full attention, whereas if it's any other dog he'll just keep walking...? Very odd.

Peanut is kind of the opposite. She has a true disdain for fluffy/curly-haired dogs, no matter the size. She despises poodles, especially, and any sort of poodle mix (unless they don't look like a poodle. She loves our friend's doodle, but he just looks like a scruffy lab) Now, this is odd, because she loooves my mom's bichon. Balta (bichon) is her bestest best friend in the world, and has pretty much been a "big sister" to Peanut from the time she was really little. So the fact that she hates fluffy dogs now makes no sense to me whatsoever. :-\ And it honestly has nothing to do with the dogs body language, she has gotten all snarly-faced with many different fluffy-type dogs displaying differing body languages. The only common denominator is what they look like. :-[

So how 'bout you? Do your dogs discriminate based on the breed/appearance of other dogs? Tell me mine aren't the only weird ones!!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Do your dogs discriminate?

Abby is racist towards the neighbours on our corner.............
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Jasper is in love with a Labradoodle and generally he will play with any dog but we know certain dogs don't welcome his attention and he generally leaves it to me to decide whether he goes into play mode ! Well i am pack leader however small the pack may be !

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

No yours aren't the only ones. Billie cannot stand any little dog, but in particular she despises Pomeranians. She wants to make a squeaky toy out of them and I don't mean the kind you play with, I mean the kind you remove the squeaker and shred the stuffing out of. :-[

She loves to play with other Labs but will ignore a lot of the other big breeds. If they don't move fast, she's not interested. The breeds that play really rough scare the crap out of her. She had a German Shepard (or something that looked like one) that drug her around by the scruff and tried to mount her (he was intact) at the dog park. The dog must've been 150 pounds, he was up to my hip. Pure white, terrifying. Anyway, those types of dogs she'll stay away from.

I haven't really found any pattern to Mocha's crazyness. Sometimes she's calm with strangers and dogs and sometimes she freaks out barking with hackles. I can't really find a pattern though. Zeus doesn't really care for any other dogs at first. After the inital freak out he has been ok with the dogs I've actually tried to get him to be ok around. He's strange.
    Smeagol doesn't really seam to care he loves all people and isn't really around many other new dogs.

Nellie definitely prefers to play with other labs. She also is not too fond of puppies.

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

Morgan hates Rotties -w as attacked by one as a pup - other than that, he likes everyone...but will growl and bark aggressively at any rottie he sees (if he is behind glass and safe!)

Gene Guest

Actually, yes they do. Both my dogs ignore little dogs. They barely turn their heads at the little yapers. But if they see a rot, sepherd, or lab, look out! They will pull on their leashes trying to get close!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Hudler loves beagles and huskies. He hates chows and JRTs. I believe it all goes back to his first doggy friends at the park, and the ones that picked on him.

Aimee is offline Senior Member

Pickles is not a fan of Poodles but Schatzi doesn't seem to have any preferences one way or the other.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast