The dog has me in trouble. rant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The dog has me in trouble. rant

maz

DefaultThe dog has me in trouble. rant

:'(
    OK I'm taking my two children to school with Kc on the lead. There is a policy at the school that no dogs are allowed on the ground, so as routine I take Kc to the far corner between the fence and the car park fence and tie her lead so she can sit and wait. (there is a 2 foot gap) so she is safe from traffic and jumping on kids. Any way this morning she decides as soon as I detach the lead the put round the railings she bolts, goes straight in the waiting area and causing mayhem. It takes 4 friends to catch the pup. Once caught one of the mum's makes it obvious that Kc has jumped on her child and her paw has caught his face. Has a right go at me for not keeping my dog under control. I apologise and ask if her son is OK. No came the p&^^ed off mum he is in pieces!!! :-\ So much so that she has taken the chance to go in the school and complain and leave her pieces son at school.
    On way home the mum confronts me again. I apologise and ask what else did she want me to do?
    Back home waiting for a phone call from the head. Making a situation worse I am a parent governor and feel sick knowing that my dog has hurt someone. Help or advice needed urgently!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Katies Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: The dog has me in trouble. rant

I'm sorry this happened..........I would ask this woman who pissed in her cornflakes this morning. Come on we are talking about a puppy and she is a nut case over this? I guess she never had a pet before.......I wonder how well behaved her child is....probably the bully of the school.

Whoa I need more coffee.........I feel like fighting with everyone today and I have only been awake a half hour.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

This is going to sound harsh, and I'm sorry, but I have to say it. First, you were wrong for taking the dog to the schoool when you know it's prohibited. This experience is exactly why they don't allow dogs on the grounds. It is also not a good idea to tie a puppy or dog to a fence and walk away from it - it could very easily strangle itself in the lead trying to follow you or get to the kids. Or it could get stolen. I hope this has a happy resolution, but may I suggest you leave the pup home in a crate while you take the kids to school, then take the pup for a walk elsewhere when you return? Good luck!
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

What you might try is to visit w/ the family at their home, taking Kc w/ you to let the child who was scratched interact w/ your puppy. This will lessen the anxiety of the child w/ dogs in the future and you and your family to make friends w/ her and her's. Sitting back and waiting potentially allows for it to fester into something bigger.
    Our world has done a 180 degree turn, rather than dealing w/ the problems that face us daily, we want to complain and make everything a federal case-- Parents want to protect their children from everything- rather than taking opportunities to teach when they arise.

Good Luck,

Doug

Gene Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AmazonGold
    This is going to sound harsh, and I'm sorry, but I have to say it. First, you were wrong for taking the dog to the schoool when you know it's prohibited. This experience is exactly why they don't allow dogs on the grounds. It is also not a good idea to tie a puppy or dog to a fence and walk away from it - it could very easily strangle itself in the lead trying to follow you or get to the kids. Or it could get stolen. I hope this has a happy resolution, but may I suggest you leave the pup home in a crate while you take the kids to school, then take the pup for a walk elsewhere when you return? Good luck!
    I agree, my dogs love kids, and I have walked my 7 year old grandson to school, but without the dogs for that very reason.

jan elaine Guest

Okay so you shouldn't have taken the puppy to school. But everyone makes mistakes. And hopefully learn from them. I would make a call to the headmaster first ,and soon, and explain the situation. Apologize and say that it won't happen again. But honestly, how badly could the child have been hurt?? Sounds as if the mother likes attention and hates animals.

Quote Originally Posted by YellowLabProject
    What you might try is to visit w/ the family at their home, taking Kc w/ you to let the child who was scratched interact w/ your puppy. This will lessen the anxiety of the child w/ dogs in the future and you and your family to make friends w/ her and her's. Sitting back and waiting potentially allows for it to fester into something bigger.
    Our world has done a 180 degree turn, rather than dealing w/ the problems that face us daily, we want to complain and make everything a federal case-- Parents want to protect their children from everything- rather than taking opportunities to teach when they arise.

Good Luck,

Doug
    I like Doug's suggestion. Call the parents, ask how the child is doing. Ask if they would like to meet with the puppy. When my oldest was 3 she was "attacked" by the neighbor's German Shepard PUPPY that got loose (wasn't really an attack, he was running towards her to play, but at 7 months old, knocked her on the concrete, where she got serious road rash all over her face). To her that was an attack, and started her extreme fear of large dogs. She is still skiddish, and when we first got Jonah when he ran towards her even as a 2 month old puppy, she ran away. She's getting better, but I think if we had faced it soon after it happened, it wouldn't have continued to get so bad.

I can understand the other parent's anger at the time. But I bet when they calmed down, they may have even felt a little embarressed if they over reacted. But I would at least call and apologize again and check on the child (maybe a little after school lets out so she can see her child is really okay).

maz

Quote Originally Posted by AmazonGold
    I understand what you are saying and I agree to a point. There is a blue fence around the waiting area and I tyed her (normally) where she cant strangle herself. This is the area where two other parents tye there dogs up when they bring them ( all labs!) and it is not on the school property. It takes me four steps to go the other side of the fence where the dog can see me and I can see and stroke her. Kc has been doing this since Wednesday last week and has never tried to follow as I leave one of her chew bones to keep her occupied for 5 minuites max that my children can walk through the gates. Have you never tied your dog up when you go into the shop for the paper, pint of milk? is'nt it better to start a routine early so the dog will understand what is expected of them from an early age? Whats nicer for the dog, a walk for 20 minutes and left for 5min although she can still see me, or left in her crate where she has been there all night for 1/2hour with no company? I can't always take Kc out after the morning sch run but she gets at least 3 walks a day + activity in the garden when ever she wants.

brody is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MagsMom
    But honestly, how badly could the child have been hurt??
    Mom overreacted

but it doesn't matter if or how badly the child was hurt - the child was frightened another child could have been hurt or scared or the dog could have been hurt or scared - believe me if a dog I don't know approaches something that it could hurt or scare I'm NOT particularly gentle as I move it away (um boots work pretty well)

it wasn't the dog who got you in trouble - you may have gotten your dog into trouble

If your children are too small to walk into the school by themselves while you hold the leash where the dog is allowed the dog should be at home

And agree with the idea of being proactive - talk to the head about it and let the child know that the dog was young and excited not trying to hurt anybody and would love to get to meet the child again

hang in there - life does happen
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Sorry this happened to you. I know you must be upset.

Quote Originally Posted by maz
    Have you never tied your dog up when you go into the shop for the paper, pint of milk?
    I have never tied one of my dogs out anywhere because there are too many things that could go wrong.

How old was the child who was hurt by your dog? Some in this thread have implied that the mother overreacted because this is a puppy so the child can't be too hurt. I disagree. Excited puppies can absolutely hurt children and I don't know if the mother was out of line or not. The dog obviously jumped up on the child and scratched his face. Did he nearly catch an eye? Was the child knocked to the ground? Was he bleeding? As much as I love dogs I would be very angry if my small child was scratched on their face by an unruly puppy on school grounds where dogs are not allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by MagsMom
    But honestly, how badly could the child have been hurt?? Sounds as if the mother likes attention and hates animals.
    I love animals and have multiple large labs, but I would be very upset if it were my child. Dogs are not allowed on school grounds to avoid these types of incidents. Children outside a school can be like a drug to some dogs....totallly irresistable. I wouldn't walk my dogs to the school if it were not allowed, or I would stay across the street with the dog's leash in my hand and watch my child go into the building. If the rule is no dogs at school why attempt to bend the rule as far as it can before it breaks?

For everyone who is bashing the mother for overreacting...how would you react if your sweet innocent puppy was approached by an unruly dog at the dog park and clearly scratched on the face, hurt, and scared? I'll bet you would be uspet too. Give the mother a break.

I would call the mother once more to check on the child but I would not suggest bringing your dog over for the child to see or bringing him to the school again. If this happened to me I would not try to make excuses for my dog, I would simply apologize, acknowledge that I was wrong to bring him to school and assure her that it will never happen again. She might be more upset by what she perceives as your obvious disregard for school rules than the injury itself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast