Neighbor's Pit-X..This was interesting

Thread: Neighbor's Pit-X..This was interesting

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeighbor's Pit-X..This was interesting

When I was leaving this am and went to close the garage door (opener is on the blink so manual operation for now) the neighbor's pit-x approached and seemed to want attention. I just stood there and let him smell my hand. Man that dog is skittish. And he looks a little on the thin side, tho not sure. Not emaciated but I could see his ribs.

Made me wonder just how is he treated. Not the worst by far, but, and maybe I am imagining this, he seemed to sense that we are ok.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Neighbor's Pit-X..This was interesting

Is your neighbor's dog usually out unattended? I wouldn't assume he is being mistreated just because of the ribs. Dan lost some weight a while back when around girls in heat and I have been fighting with his weight for the last few months. He is eating 10 cups of performance food a day and you can still see many of his ribs when he moves and some ribs when he just stands there and breathes. Seeing ribs doesn't necessarily mean no food or mistreatment. Dan just has a high metabolism and gets a huge amount of exercise every day.

On another note: (especially if he IS mistreated). I would never allow a skittish dog like that to approach me and sniff, especially without his owners present. He could snap at any time and bite you. Skittish or nervous dogs are often imbalanced and can be dangerous or unpredictable.

jan elaine Guest

I would have brought out water, food, blanket, ect. But I just can't seem to ignore dogs who come up to me. : My friends say the dogs know that I will take care of them. So yeh, I think the pit- x knew you were okay!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I think dogs do have a good sence of people who are dog lovers and those who are not. My inlaws dog could not stand my BIL's ex girlfriend. He would growl at her and actually bit her a few times. They were together 9 years but she wasn't there real often. I think he knew she was evil The same dog LOVES me he goes nuts when I'm there and is always wanting loving and giving kisses.

As far as this dog it's tough to tell if he's skiddish I would be careful but not to scared since they can sence that and it will probably only make it worse. We have a Schnauzer that runs our neighborhood a lot and he's really skiddish some times. If you hold still he'll come up and sniff and let you pet his head and back. He does not like having his neck or collar touched though and will snap. I will pet him but am always careful about it.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Skittish may not be the right word. I know once, and forgot to put in my original post, he did a play bow. He actually seemed to want to play now that I think about it.

I frequently see him outside unattended. When I opened my gate to get the trash can, Tal was going to come with me. So I gave Tal the "inside" command I use so he won't go out and closed the gate behind me.

About 2 weeks ago I was taking some limbs to the curb, Tal out with me, and the pit-x showed up and he and Tal seemed to be getting along pretty well until this cocker spaniel showed up. Then the pit-x ran off because the cocker started chasing him. Tal just looked at me like I would liked to play with them both!