Alternatives to Cone (Elizabethan Collar)

Thread: Alternatives to Cone (Elizabethan Collar)

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultAlternatives to Cone (Elizabethan Collar)

Crate training Jake WITH one of those cones is impossible. As he gets comfortable with the crate he freaks when he can't turn around (he can actually, but not easily). Any treat I put in there (kong, food) he can't get cuz of the cone!

I know Luke And Taler's mom (sunjin right?) recommended the small inverted cone thingy. I can't find it so I would have to order.

I have heard of the one that is like a neck brace but can't FIND it anywhere.

The vet suggested a t-shirt. But how do you hold the t-shirt ot the dog (I am not going to use a pin there!). I think this could work but...how?

Thanks!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Alternatives to Cone (Elizabethan Collar)

If you get a t-shirt large enough; it covers the areas in concern. Otherwise, I usually tie a knot in it. You can also get these type at Petsmart:
    http://reviews.petsmart.com/4830a/2750423/reviews.htm

Put some boxer shorts on him!

Sams Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya
    Crate training Jake WITH one of those cones is impossible. As he gets comfortable with the crate he freaks when he can't turn around (he can actually, but not easily). Any treat I put in there (kong, food) he can't get cuz of the cone!

I know Luke And Taler's mom (sunjin right?) recommended the small inverted cone thingy. I can't find it so I would have to order.

I have heard of the one that is like a neck brace but can't FIND it anywhere.

The vet suggested a t-shirt. But how do you hold the t-shirt ot the dog (I am not going to use a pin there!). I think this could work but...how?

Thanks!
    Sorry what area?
    We got a t-shirt from the dollar store. Kids medium or large. The adult ones had neck that were too big. Sam looked ever so styling in her t-shirt.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ok I got a t-shirt on but I don't see it staying - the knot isn't the best. It's a woman's shirt. is longer better?

do you mean what area location wize? Ottawa Canada

After Asher's surgery he had one of those neck brace thingys but I can't remember what they are called. It looks almost like I human neck brace. If you can't find a brace like that I would suggest just using a larger crate for a while or possibly an ex-pen type setup.

Page - yes that brace is what i would really need.

He has a big enough crate (and I unfortunately can't do expen) but I am pretty sure this is his first time in a crate. Bad enough crate training for the poor guy, but doing it with a big cone on. None of the tricks works as he can't get to them (food, kong....). He freaks out when he tries to turn (though he actually can turn around and does)

bump

I just called my vet. It's the bite not collar. http://www.bitenot.com

this works for wounds the dog would need to turn his head to get to. Anything on the front feet would not be good for this collar.