New Labby in the house

Thread: New Labby in the house

DefaultNew Labby in the house

Hello everyone,
    Thank you all for your advice to keep trying when I was having no luck trying to adopt a brother or sister for our baby Lab Buddy. Well, we just brought home Riley, a 3 yr old yellow English Lab boy who is absolutely adorable. Couple of questions for those of you who may have been through this before. First question: I was told that Riley was house broken (not really true) and that he was not a marker (also not really true). We are going back to basics to potty train him. He has had a couple of accidents (pee) in the house, right after he peed outside. Yes, I praised him for the outside potty. Is this a usual thing to go through when they come to a new home?
    Second question: Our Buddy has been an only furry child for almost 5 years and he is not really sure about all of this. They get along great with absolutely no aggression but Buddy seems troubled. Is this normal? Will he adjust? Any ideas?
    I think your website is wonderful. I love to look at the pictures of all of your babies. I will post pictures soon of my two babies.
    Thanks so much,
    Char

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: New Labby in the house

Congratulations. Welcome to the forum, Riley.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Sometimes a 'new' pup doesn't realize that housebreaking means all houses, and they need to be reminded. Also, the marking is pretty common, especially when there is already another dog in the house. You just need to catch him in the act, give a correction (either NO! or AHHAHH!!), and immediately take him outside.

Your Buddy will adapt in time. It took our Buddy and Champ a couple of weeks to really be comfortable together and now, two months after we got Champ, it's like they have always been brothers. Just remember not to leave them loose and alone together for a while - always crate or separate them when you leave (best to crate the new guy until you know he is house-safe). Also, make sure they never have collars on when they are together and playing.

Buddy is just wondering who the new guy is, and if he's staying. Make sure both boys get lots of attention, individual as well as together. Good luck and have a ball with your boys! ;D
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I agree - new house new rules. My foster Jake peed and marked ALL OVER the first foster's home. OFTEN. He peed once here because he really had to go and we missed it. But nothing since then. nada. so it does seem to depend on environment. Just treat him as though he isn't trained.

congrats on adopting and on the new addition It does take a few months for things to settle in and both dogs to get used to the rules of the house and the new companion.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

When I adopted Teddy, we had several weeks of accidents, despite the fact that he had been housebroken for months. I think it is normal, this is a stressful time for them. Treat him as though he isn't housebroken for a week or two. Things should get better.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

lubmylabs is offline Senior Member

Finley was about 7 months old when we moved house, and he had been housebroken for months. The new house was a split level with most of the house upstairs, and downstairs only the front entrance and a storage room. He kept peeing in the downstairs area, probably not understanding that it was part of the house because we weren't "living" down there. I caught him at it 3 times before he learned. So I reckon new house, new rules.

jan elaine Guest

Congratulations on your new dog. And do post photos when you get a chance!!

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

No advice, sorry, but I love your pupper's name ;D. My yellow baby girl is Riley also!