Pulling on Leash

Thread: Pulling on Leash

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultPulling on Leash

I have pretty much stopped using the prong collar and am using the regular collar only. Never intended to use the prong collar permanently. Anyway, he does well but still wants to pull. Not like rip your arm off pull. I will either stop and say "no pull" or make a sharp u-turn. What should have been about a 10 minute walk to the park turned into about a 20 minute affair!

Anyway, my question is this. Does training like this kinda tax them? When he played fetch, he seemed to tire a little sooner. Part of that probably wasn't fatigue, but more interested in smelling whatever was new there ??? I did the same thing on the way home and he's almost like he has played fetch for an hour. We also played pretty hard yesterday so that may be part of it.

BTW...no lethargy, appetite and poops are good so I don't think there is anything wrong...just more curious than anything.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Pulling on Leash

I think it tires him because you're making him think and use his brain. I find mental stimulation tires Baloo just as much (if not more!) than physical exertion does.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

I agree with Kate!
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    I think it tires him because you're making him think and use his brain. I find mental stimulation tires Baloo just as much (if not more!) than physical exertion does.
    That's true! And admittedly, with the snow we've had I have been doing alot more playing than training...welll actually only playing. :-[ I need to change that and hence walking like this.

I am working alot on this and his recall. Neither are bad, but still need some work. I wanna make sure his recall is perfect mainly for safety reasons.

Thanks!

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Running a few blinds with my dog at 150-200 yards makes her more tired that a several mile jog with the 4 wheeler. I believe they equate such tasks with pressure, and the concentration makes them mentally tired.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I believe they equate such tasks with pressure, and the concentration makes them mentally tired.
    Without a doubt. That is exactly why I don't advise long sessions of fetch as a means of exercise, especially for youngsters. I had a family come into my work last week looking for advice re: the best toys for a puppy (a Lab, incidentally) and how to tire them out. Turns out they had been encouraging lots of fetch/ball chasing games in attempt to tire the pup out and stop it chewing. I suggested mental stimulation (interactive toys, very short training sessions, hide the kibble around the house) and no high-energy fetch sessions. They came back yesterday (Sunday), with pup in tow, to get some Nylabones and reported that her behavior and energy level in the house had already improved.

As mentioned, games like non-stop fetch involve no brain power. Structured fetch is different. That does involve real brain power as anyone who has been involved in training dogs for the field can attest.

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

After reading this thread i tried the "no pull" on alfie. I stopped choked, said no pull he put himself back and heeled pretty much the whole way home and i only corrected him a couple of times not ever other step I was so pleased with him he got a huge biscuit when he got home!

Thanks!

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

I've found that mental stimulation is more tiring for our two than just pure physical exertion. So I agree with everyone else that's probably it.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]