I just got an email from Rowan's breeder informing me of an upcoming breeding. She also mentioned that THREE 'show/breeding chocolates' were wanted from this particular breeding. This is the same breeding that didn't take in the summer. (Knowing this amount of 'reserves' I am glad I didn't wait again.....I might not have gotten my chocolate, "WILL" puppy).
We have gone with another breeder this time around for Bentley ~ but the 'stud' was hers (WILL) and the one we were wanting a puppy from.
My question is ~ would you just tell her that you changed your mind or would you be honest and tell her that you went with another Kennel? I just don't want to cause hard feelings as both breeders 'run' in the same circle so to speak.
I'd just be honest.....I am sure given the uncertainty of breeding she would totally understand...it is not as if she can guarrantee you a Will puppy. Just let her know that you have already found your perfect boy.
I would be honest with her, I am sure she will understand. I bet she will be very happy for you!
I agree, be honest. I had a deposit on an upcoming litter for 6 months, and had talked to that particular breeder probably at least 10 times and exchanged just as many e-mails. My hubby kept switching back and forth between sex choices, so we moved from 2nd female to 2nd male to 4th female. At that point I panicked and started looking around for a backup, just in case, expanding my search from Florida to a 5 state radius. Found another one (Jonah's breeder) that I really liked and everything fell in place perfectly (and after all that we ended up with a male!). I originally wasn't looking to replace, only have a backup if the litter didn't have enough pups. I was so nervous to talk to the first breeder, but she completely understood, was happy for me, and even refunded my deposit without me mentioning it (I had sort of written that off).
By the way, just a few weeks ago that litter was born where I had 4th pick girl; there was 1 boy (so even if I had stuck with my 2nd pick boy I wouldn't have gotten one) and 3 girls. I would have waited almost a year and still had no pup!
I just went through this with Henry's breeder.... PM me and I'll spill the gory details.
I would just be honest. I bet she will be happy for you, especially since it was her stud.
Just tell her. She'll understand. I spent weeks visiting Grace before she was ready to go home, but the breeder knew that once the pups were old enough and the eval was done to see who had the show potential, that if Grace (the only chocolate) wasn't the show pick puppy and if then I decided I didn't want to go with a Black that carried chocolate, I was off to the next breeder. They deal with this all the time. They DO it themselves! And it's still a Thumbs Up for her that you stayed with her stud!!!! It's all good.
Thanks everyone! I had wanted to tell her but from previous experience I was 'kinda afraid' that she might rip a piece from me via email....lol!!
I did email and told her that I had found the 'perfect chocolate boy' and would be picking him up in a couple of weeks.
I think breeders are just happy if you actually contact them and let them know what is happening.