Thanks for the memories
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanks for the memories

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

DefaultThanks for the memories

I decided that this was the year that I'd take my father's Winchester Model 12 out for a duck hunt for nostalgia reasons. Dad passed in 1971, over 37 years ago, and I still miss him sorely. Born in 1908, dad would have been 100 years old this week if he had lived this long.

He wasn't much of a duck hunter but loved pheasant hunting, gun dogs and was an ardent trap shooter. His Model 12 is a "Black Diamond Trap" in nickel steel with a 2-3/4" chamber, 30" full ribbed barrel and a tight full choke.

Ever since lead shot was outlawed in the 80's the gun was retired. Then along came Kent Tungsten Matrix. At $34.99 per box of 10, it's not exactly the load that one would typically plan on using every day for Teal. However, I bought four boxes of 2-3/4" #3s for just such a day as today.

It was fitting that the first shot taken this morning was on a drake Mallard that circled us nervously with a hen at 45 yards. One shot and he splashed. Cappy made a clean retrieve. Not long after a threesome of Gadwalls made a couple passes and one swung a little too close on the last turn.

That was it for the morning but it didn't matter. It was a fitting re-intro of that fine old gun to duck hunting. I think dad would have approved. In fact, he would also have loved my Cappy boy ... and visa-versa.

Remi and Rusty aren't my whole life. They're trying to fill the hole in my heart left by Cappy's passing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Thanks for the memories

What a great way to honor your father. ;D
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Thanks for sharing. What a great story and way to honor your father.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for sharing your day/thoughts with us - excellent post. Love the photo of you and Cappy - the way he has his paw up, Cooper does the same thing, for some reason it always makes me smile when he does that - I always think it's his way of saying please/thanks, depending on the situation.

Bev.

What a neat tribute for your father. I am sure he would have loved your boy.

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slappy McCracken
    Thanks for sharing your day/thoughts with us - excellent post. Love the photo of you and Cappy - the way he has his paw up, Cooper does the same thing, for some reason it always makes me smile when he does that - I always think it's his way of saying please/thanks, depending on the situation.

Bev.
    Bev ... I had my face down in the pic because I didn't want the tears to show. Somehow I think Cappy sensed my emotions at the time. Amazing animals, aren't they?
    Remi and Rusty aren't my whole life. They're trying to fill the hole in my heart left by Cappy's passing.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cappy_TX
    Quote Originally Posted by Slappy McCracken

Bev.

Bev ... I had my face down in the pic because I didn't want the tears to show. Somehow I think Cappy sensed my emotions at the time. Amazing animals, aren't they?

Yes, Jim, they truly are amazing. I think your Dad appreciated what you and Cappy did for him today.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

What a nice way to remember your dad.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

wiscpayton is offline Senior Member

A very nice story. Thanks for sharing.

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

A nice tribute for your father. Memories are one of life's greatest gifts, what would we do without them?
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast