Our wing of the Vet clinic

Thread: Our wing of the Vet clinic

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultOur wing of the Vet clinic

Whenever there is a cash flow problem at the Vet's they know they can count on our three Labs to help out. Today's "annual exams" came to $520.00 US.

The receptionist asked me to get Jack on the scale and I stood up, told Jack "Scale" and pointed where I wanted him to go. He did not strain at the leash or stick his head in the trash can on the way to or from the scale. He did that when they took us back to the exam room. He walked straight to the scale and sat down on it. 82 pounds. I am very proud of him to pick up what I wanted him to do and have him do it.

Miss Tina is doing well for an old lady. A bit chubby at 69 pounds but for a dog that turns 14 years old June 1st, not bad. She too seemed to know what i wanted when I said "Scale". She walked right over and sat down on the scale though she was carefull to slide one leg off it.

Baby weighed in at 67 pounds. She walked right over and sat down on the scale and gave me her "I really am a poor starving neglected orphan stop beating me in public" look. Vet says she should weight 60 pound. Her weight has been steadily increasing everytime we go in. Poor girl really does not being at the Vet's. When we were called back to the exam room she dug in and slipped out of her collar. She realized what she had done, froze in place but came when called, and sulked in the corner. She was fostered at a vet clinic before we got her. She is really reluctant to go with a vet tech for fear we will leave her like her last family.

On Wednesday afternoon Jack screamed in pain, limped over to the patio and looked out at the ball I had thrown like it had bit him. After about a half hour he did want to fetch but he was favoring a hind leg. I could find nothing wrong, but that night he would not jump onto the couch or the bed. The next day he slept through most of it and would not play at all.

So at the exam today I brought it up and he was kept for a couple of hours so they could do X-rays. First surprise is that way back in the mists of time he had been shot with buck shot. His right side and right hind leg have about eight or nine pellets in them. We figured there was arthritis forming. Two places in his back, some in the right hip and a lot more in his left hip. He was put on Rimydil but I requested he be put on something else. He is on Derrimax for the next week.

A six pack of Frontline, several booster injections, two X rays and a script of Derrimax and my wallet was ready to go. I guess you could say I lost a few pounds in the process.
    Three annual exams and injections..........$255.00
    Medications....................................... .$126.00
    X-Rays.............................................. $139.00
    Three Labrador retriever companions........ Priceless. And worth every penny.

LD

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Our wing of the Vet clinic

Your stories always make me smile. Sounds like everyone had a good exam. I'm sure you kept the cash flowing well at your vets. It is true....you cannot put a price on the love of a lab & you just triple it.

Cha-ching! But they are worth every penny, as you said. I would be awfully lonely without my furry "son".

Bev.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Here's hoping your won't have to go back for a very, very long time!

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

Poor Jake. Will they do anything about the buckshot?

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by buddysmom
    Poor Jake. Will they do anything about the buckshot?
    No. The buckshot was there long before we got Jack in 2001. When we got Jack the only obvious medical problem was his left eye. The first theing we did when we adopted him was get him into our vet for a look under the hood. No sign of wounds or illness.

Today the vet said the buckshot were not a problem. He said when he was practicing in a rural area every dog he X-rayed had buckshot in them.

Maybe between the buckshot and the grissle, Wife won't try to wok him after all.

LD

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Lab Dad,

I can sympathize (or maybe it should be empathize), I took Lexi to the vet's on Thursday to have her eye checked. It was all goopy & irritated. $145.00 later we had a diagnosis of "pink eye" aka conjunctivitis. Never knew dogs could get "pink eye", though more glad to know it should not transmit to me.

Though I had to laugh at our vet, she goes on to explain that there is a slight chance her eye was inflamed due to swelling, which is an early sign of glaucoma. But that would require a different test.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

blackjack is offline Senior Member

I feel your pain. I consider it a moral victory to get out of the vet's office for under a hundred, and that doesn't happen very often.

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart

lol Lab Dad....I think we have earned a wing at our local vet hosp too!

They are starting building on a new facility...state of the art, everythinggggg. It's going to be beautiful but man are we paying for it!