Need Advice Please -- Stomach Troubles

Thread: Need Advice Please -- Stomach Troubles

Der

DefaultNeed Advice Please -- Stomach Troubles

Last Saturday, Rogie started throwing up--four times on Saturday. Our vet was closed for the holiday, so on Saturday evening we called the ER vet. They had us bring him in and did blood work and took an x-ray of his stomach. Blood work came back fine and he did not have a fever. There was food in his stomach from earlier meal, so they had us bring him back on Sunday morning for another x-ray. That showed a shadow in his stomach. They vets disagreed as to what to do as they said it could just be his stomach or it could be a foreign object (we really don't have an indication that he ate something foreign). Internist wanted to do an endoscopy and see if he had a foreign body in his stomach. A surgeon that was there said he would recommend taking him home and feeding him a bland diet and if no more trouble we should be fine. Then they mentioned that a stomach virus was going around (we told them on Saturday night that Rogie had been at dog camp on Friday). We fed the bland diet until Friday morning when we started adding his dog food to white rice. No more throwing up, but now Rogie has diarrhea. It started last night and is very watery today. This morning he ate boiled chicken and white rice. Any advice on what we should do at this point? Our vet is closed until Monday morning. Rogie is acting pretty much like himself, maybe a touch more low key than usual.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Need Advice Please -- Stomach Troubles

Awww, poor Rogie. Is he drinking normally? The one thing I worry about with watery diarrhea is dehydration.

I guess if he's showing some appetite and isn't vomiting everything back up, I would go back to the bland diet, just feeding a little bit every couple of hours and plenty of water, and see what happens. I've had good luck with 2 parts white rice to 1 part lowfat cottage cheese.

Good luck!

Der

Quote Originally Posted by theoconbrio
    Awww, poor Rogie. Is he drinking normally? The one thing I worry about with watery diarrhea is dehydration.

I guess if he's showing some appetite and isn't vomiting everything back up, I would go back to the bland diet, just feeding a little bit every couple of hours and plenty of water, and see what happens.

Good luck!
    Thanks Nathan. He is drinking normally. Just took a big drink as a matter of fact. I think we will give him a little bit of rice and chicken baby food (the ER vet recommended this last time) and see how he does. He did fine all week until we started adding his dog food back in with the rice and chicken.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Maybe you just went too fast in adding his dog food back in. I remember we had the same problem with Theo once when he had gastroenteritis. Hope that's all it is!

Der

Quote Originally Posted by theoconbrio
    Maybe you just went too fast in adding his dog food back in. I remember we had the same problem with Theo once when he had gastroenteritis. Hope that's all it is!
    Yeah, we are going to go back to the bland diet and see how it goes and will be calling our own vet on Monday a.m. (hoping that we don't have to go back to ER vet as they seem really eager to do a lot of tests and I don't want to put Rogie through unnecessary and possible invasive testing). I am just a little worried since he had a bout of pancreatitis in the Spring (though there was some uncertainty re that diagnosis).