Introducing Jake
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing Jake

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultIntroducing Jake

FINALLY, my first foster Jake! A lab no less (i'm working with all breed rescue's but both know I love labs). He's either 5 or 7 (the family is supposed to drop off his paperwork soon). His owner was just places in a senior home. Jake is a suck. He needs his stuffed toy to sleep/relax. We went for a good walk after he arrived here and man does he pull (going to pull out the GL or the Choke chain next time)

He's 91 pounds and needs to loose weight (I think he needs to loose quite abit but the vet said just a few pounds "cuz he's british")

Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Introducing Jake

Very nice looking dog!

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

He looks like he is a really good fella and very well cared for! And very handsome too.

Sad that his owner had to be put in a senior home.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

EMA
    EMA is offline Senior Member

Congrats! He's a cutie!!!

Remember, for proper weight, you should be able to feel the ribs when pressing lightly. Dogs have different body types and some can look fatter but really its just their build. My boy is a fieldy/byb rescue - he looks great at 70lbs (can even get down to 65) looking good - the show boy I had at my house was fit at 80 - he will never look like my boy - ever, no matter how little I fed him or how much weight he lost. I'm sure you already know this, but I just wanted to add the little reminder - he probably looks much different than Rocky so you gotta take that into account.

labby is offline Senior Member

He's cute. So the Brit's weigh more?

Laura

LOL yep - those darn british dogs

Yes I realize a "real" Labrador (as per standard) is a stockier dogs and I am comparing him to my VERY lean and tall Rocky. But I judge as you described - feeling his rib cage. I feel it SOMEWHERE under there but I have a feeling he could probably loose quite a few pounds before we get to that perfect state (just a small line of fat/skin covering the ribs).

I likely won't have him long enough to loose much anyway. We don't even know how much he was fed before he came into the rescue. I'll see about trimming maybe a pound or two depending how long he's here.

budbud is offline Senior Member

Jake is very handsome good luck with him has he marked anything yet?

I don't think it was a mark but an accident. he peed shortly after arriving (the gal hadn't even finished getting his things from the car). She said she knew he had to pee but had been unable to at the vet's (she picked him up there and dropped him off at my place). I cleaned up, used nature's miracle and will keep an eye on him (and take him out as often as possible)

Trickster is offline Senior Member

He is gorgeous, Tanya. I'd be a useless foster because that boy would not be going anywhere!

EMA
    EMA is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya
    LOL yep - those darn british dogs

Yes I realize a "real" Labrador (as per standard) is a stockier dogs and I am comparing him to my VERY lean and tall Rocky. But I judge as you described - feeling his rib cage. I feel it SOMEWHERE under there but I have a feeling he could probably loose quite a few pounds before we get to that perfect state (just a small line of fat/skin covering the ribs).

I likely won't have him long enough to loose much anyway. We don't even know how much he was fed before he came into the rescue. I'll see about trimming maybe a pound or two depending how long he's here.
    I figured you knew, but I got so much grief walking the 2 boys side by side (even at training) - how one could be so fit and skinny and the other fat - I could feel ribs easily on both. If he's there for a week or 2 you can definitely get some weight off!!!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast