Neutered - what to do about Cone?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neutered - what to do about Cone?

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeutered - what to do about Cone?

Jake, my foster, just arrived today. he was neutered on Friday and released around noon today. He came with a cone and we were told it is to be kept on for two weeks as he can remove his stiches.

What do I do when I am not home? I doubt putting him in the crate with a cone is going to work. His "house breaking" is out the window so I can't trust him alone in the apt (it's a 1 bedroom). He marked all over the place at the rescue owner's on Thursday (she brought him in then dropped him on Friday for the neuter). We believe the house training problems are due to stress but I am pretty much dealing with it as though he is untrained.

Hints, tips, suggestions all welcomed.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Neutered - what to do about Cone?

Is there anyone you trust who could be with him a fair amount during the day? Just a thought.

EMA
    EMA is offline Senior Member

Does he seem to be interested in that area?? If not, I would just crate him w/o the cone and put a stuffed kong and nylabone in the crate. If he is, can you set up an ex-pen?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I can't have anyone watch over him (rather, I don't know anyone that could). I'd have to scrounge around to even find someone to just check up on him during the day.

I've had him 3hrs so I can't make conclusions but he's only liked himself twice and I gave a "no" and he stopped. He was wet from our walk (snow) so I can't even be SURE he was liking the stiches.

Is it safe to leave him with the cone on when we are not home (out of the crate) (meaning, if I'd rather risk a peed spot to protect HIM is that ok)?

Kathryn Guest

when Jacey was spayed not to long ago I had her get in the crate and turn around facing me and put a cone on her. I wasnt going to take my chances and she did fine..

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

How big is he as compared to his crate? In the past, I had to put Reggie with a cone in his crate. I thought he'd be stuck facing one way but he figured out quickly how to turn around.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

i just put up his crate - I think it would be plenty big enough for him and his cone but now we have encountered problem #2...he isn't crate trained!

I put him in for a few minutes, once he finished his cookie (which is how I got him in there) he whined for abit. Once he stopped I let him out (so that he does not associate whining with being let out). But I do not know that I can make enough progress to leave him there all day Monday.

So...is it safe to let him out of the crate WITH the big cone thingy while I am gone and just pray there are no accidents? Or do I see how it goes with the crate?

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

if it were me, i'd get a soft collar and crate him when you leave the house. i would never leave a new foster loose in the house unattended.

i've used 3 different types of hard plastic cone collars:
    1. velcro close hard plastic
    2. snap close hard plastic
    3. loop close hard pastic

1 and 2 almost always comes off. luke somehow mangages to rip it off
    his head. 3rd collar stays put, but i've only seen these kinds at one
    particular vet office. this same vet office also offers soft collars,
    which is what i prefer to use. these are also sold online.

here is the link to ordering online, if your vet office doesn't carry
    them: http://trimlineinc.com/index.cfm

here is a photo of luke wearing his soft collar when he had his last surgery.

for crate training, i would start with short intervals of alone time in the crate and increase length of time each session to acclimate him to the crate, so he starts to feel like it's routine and no big deal.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I would definitely crate him when you go to work, because you don't know him well enough to trust that he won't get into something that could hurt him, aside from bothering the stitches.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

I put him in for a few minutes, once he finished his cookie (which is how I got him in there) he whined for abit. Once he stopped I let him out (so that he does not associate whining with being let out).
    Was he whining because he is in the crate or because he could see you? Both Ranger and Reggie will whine (Ranger) or bark (Reggie), if they are in their crates and they can see me. If I am out of the room, and not visible, they settle down in their crates.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast