I have a question about female dogs

Thread: I have a question about female dogs

Gene Guest

DefaultI have a question about female dogs

I have owned five dogs, but Zoey is my first female. When I walk her each morning, she NEVER wags her tail. Merlot, and all my past male dogs, wag their tails like crazy. I should have asked this question a year ago when I rescued her. I thought at the time she might be thinking I wouldn't bring her back home. Is this normal that a spaded female could care less if she got a walk. ??? She walks real well, but never seems happy about it. In the house or backyard her tail is ALWAYS wagging.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I have a question about female dogs

Jazzy is spade and wags her tail on walks. Maybe Zoey had some bad experiences when walked before you rescued her.

Brookville, Pa.

Ginger wags and kind of hop-runs. It is so sweet, my daughter will take her out and skip while she walks her. Ginger gets this really cute glide in her step and runs along looking at Brooke adoringly.....

Maybe Zoey is just very *aware* of her surroundings and takes the walk very seriously, did that make sense?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Sammi is spayed and is a wagging maniac, sometimes I think she is going to hurt herself!

kaytris is offline Senior Member

more than likely she's just more serious than your boys... different personalities.

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

I agree its a personality thing not a gender thing. Chamois wags her tail so hard all the time (in the house, out in the yard, on walks, in the car) that I think sometimes she's going either to sprain it or to wag it right off of herself. We call her Miss Wiggles because it turns into a whole-body wag.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I think it's just personality too. When Maddy goes for a walk, she is keeps her tail raised high and it kind of pops back and forth like a metronome. She is rather serious and doesn't have a wild, all out wag like my boy and Grace, our other girl, have. Sometimes I have to call her several times to go for the walk, other times she is at the door pushing to go....do it just depends. The other morning she wanted breakfast BEFORE the walk, so it was tough getting her to go, and then she was super serious, no stopping, "lets get this over with so we can eat" the whole time.

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

Only thing I can come up with is:
    How happy/enthusiastic are you on these early morning walks?
    Are you a "morning person"?
    Could she be picking up on your 'worries/concerns' about your day ahead?
    Is something else going on at home during that time, for instance, one of the kids or your wife going off to school/work and that person not being there/gone by the time you and Zoey return? (maybe she is thinking 'every time we walk in the morning that person goes away till later')

Does she wag her tail during afternoon/evening walks?

I'm probably way out in left field here, but these were the thoughts that came to mind.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Zoe is 5 and she still doesn't wag her tail on walks. I know she loves to walk and sniff and sniff some more, but her tail does not wag.

Zoey, like my Zoe, is probably on the serious side.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

patm is offline Senior Member

Emilu loves to play in the yard, and runs around like an idiot - but is more sedate on walks too. Skippy is taking large, loping circles around us and gets 3 times the exercise that Emilu gets. She tends to walk right in front of me and sometimes I have to tell her to "hurry up" so I don't run into her. She wags her tail, but isn't the tail-wagger that Skippy is. I think it is probably just the difference in dogs, but there do seem to be some differences in males and females (besides the obvious ones!). Just not sure that tail-wagging on a walk is one of them.