Differences in lab coats
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Differences in lab coats

DefaultDifferences in lab coats

I am used to my full undercoat huskies. I have 2 young labs added to my addition. Shadow just over a year old and Nugget just at 6 months. I had thought that labs had a double coat... the outer longer fur coat and then the shorter softer undercoat...probably not as pronounced as the huskies but indeed a double coat. Shadows coat is very thin. There is no undercoat to him. When I brush him out I get nothing no matter what brush I use (I use a lot of tools with my huskies coat to keep them in shape). I see lots of fur in his crate tho...Nugget on the other hand (parents wize, same father as Shadow but different mother) seems to have a thicker coat and I do get lots of fur from him when I brush him.. and he has no fur in his crate.
    So my question is... do any of you have labs that dont have a double coat or undercoat and is the grooming of them different? Should a lab have a double coat? Is there something wrong if they dont???

Thankyou!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Differences in lab coats

I think you are going to be told yes. Up to about a month ago, I would have told you yes.

I told my vet that Hershey Kisses didn't have an undercoat like she should and wondered if it was genetic or if there was a diet deficiency of some kind. She promptly re-examined HKs coat and produced some fur for me to look at. She showed me the under coat hairs and the top coat hairs. So this dummy had know idea what he was supposed to be looking for. Her coat is definitely different than my son's 6 year old male.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Henry's coat is quite thin, in comparison to my SIL's sister's chocolate, and to his bestest friend Phoebe's. I dare say that he doesn't seem to have the lab undercoat, and what he does have is very soft and silky, with exception of the darker, more coarser fur along his back. His belly is bare. :-\

It's not a big deal to me... less fur to sweep up! The only time it's an issue is when our wind chill dips down to -20 or more, then I have to put him into a coat.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

There is definatley a difference. Mocha's coat is very soft and fine and generally she doesn't shed very much other than when she blows coat (like right now). Zeus's coat on the other hand is much thicker and the hair is more course. He definatley sheds more as well.

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

Lucy doesn't have a proper double coat. barely sheds.

she always looks kinda naked in comparison to other Labs.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Rider doesn't have a proper double coat either. Rookie does.

It's a matter of who bred your dog and if they knew what the hell they were doing.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

I have no scientific basis for this, only personal observation. I have noticed that you will see the thinner coat in a field Lab and the heavier coat in a bench Lab.
    Olie

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I have noticed that you will see the thinner coat in a field Lab and the heavier coat in a bench Lab.
    I have also noticed this. But then, I have field bred Labs, and both their coats are very coarse to touch. Not a hint of softness. Well bred field Labs should have a double coat.

I have met some backyard bred Labs with really soft coats. To me it feels so strange touching a Lab with a soft coat as I automatically think of my boys coarse fur.

Quote Originally Posted by mollyrock
    Lucy doesn't have a proper double coat. barely sheds.

she always looks kinda naked in comparison to other Labs.
    Then she would feel even more attracted to Dutch! He is in need of coat in a bad way.

Dutch and Zena are my only two with good coats and there is enough yellow hair on everything I own to prove it.

Zoe has what I call a "puppy" coat. Still soft and smooth. She has a lot of coat, just not a double coat. But she also doesn't shed much and still smells like a puppy at times, so I don't mind! Most of the chocolates I have had here do not shed as bad as the yellows (who come first) and the blacks.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Zoe has a coarse outer coat. She does have an undercoat, but not much.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast