Need Cat/Dog suggestions

Thread: Need Cat/Dog suggestions

DefaultNeed Cat/Dog suggestions

Any idea how to start trying to get the boys introduced to cats again? I have had them separated for 2 years because nothing has worked to get them to not chase. Need help here.... :-\

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Need Cat/Dog suggestions

I have not idea :-\ ... I must have gotten lucky....We adopted Simba (cat) from SPCA and then got Riley when she was 8 weeks old. We think when we brought Riley home, Simba was probably about 7 months or so. It might have helped that they were the same size, but they get along great. They do chase each other and rip through the house (it's quite funny to see 65lb Riley running while 10lb Simmy is hot on her trail, and every now and again Riley gets too excited and rough with Simmy, but overall, we've had no problems.

I have tried since the boys were 6 months to get them all together. Why I didn't try sooner was out of my hands, and a long time ago. One of the puppies that I rescued is very gentle, but I don't trust him around the cats just yet without someone there. My two girls (non-lab) are around the cats all the time. The cats come out of their bedroom during the day while the boys are outside. It is just a pain when you have a cat whining to come out of their room, and you have to put the dogs in another bedroom so that can happen. UG!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

That's a tough one Amanda! Both of my boys will chase the cats down when they are all outside. As soon as the cats come in though, they're best friends. I don't get it. Actually when the cats are in, Yoshi grows a set and thinks he can claw anything that walks past him.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Could you leash them to you inside and try to teach them "no kitty"?

We were lucky, both our labs were puppies when they were introduced to the cats and neither of them has a strong prey drive. Plus one of our cats LOVES to play and cuddle with the dogs. Our houseguest (dog), Lucy, clearly had never seen a cat in her life before coming here a couple of weeks ago. She wanted to chase, but also was happily very teachable and learned "no kitty" pretty quickly - but it took a lot of supervision. I just never let her out of my sight if she was loose inside with the cats, and I made sure the cats always had a refuge where they could go that she couldn't.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

I have been trying the leash inside while they are in, but I have to do it one at a time. Or sometimes 2 at a time. When they all get in though, all hell breaks loose. I have a feeling at this rate it will take 5 years if ever to get there.

Allies Mom is offline Senior Member

We have 2 cats also, along with the 4 labs. Both of the cats are 11 years old now. What we have done from the beginning of the puppy ages is put a gate at the top or bottom of the stairs and raised it enough so the cats could run thru the bottom. I have one cat who still really is not crazy about the dogs and they will chase her when she runs. The other cat seems to believe she is one of them and they never bother her. We also use the "no cat" frequently.

Leave it is the key word with the cats. However, they haven't realized that Leave it with the cats means a permanent leave it just like with a dead thing in the road or a toy that doesn't get played with any more. My dogs are too smart for their own good sometimes.