Salt On Roads?

Thread: Salt On Roads?

DefaultSalt On Roads?

One of my coworkers just got a "courtesy call" from his vet. Vet says that since our recent snow and salting of the roads that he is seeing a lot of dogs coming in sick from absorbing something in the salt (not sure what) through their paws. He recommended washing their paws after walking.

We were in the practice of washing Lula's paws anyway for fear of the salt drying them out. I have never heard of the salt, or whatever they mix with it causing sickness. ???

Does anyone know about this? ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Salt On Roads?

The only thing I know of is if the dog has crack in their paws the salt can get in there, and also the ice forming between their toes is irritating. My son's dog that has allergy issues, gets real irritated between the toys when he is out on salted roads. I put Musher's Secret (learned about this stuff here) on HKs pads and between toes once a week. Seems to have avoided any issues here.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Maybe it's not salt they are using. Around here they are using something called Bryne (sp?) I think it might be a liquid it's spread by a regular pick up truck from a small tank mounted to the back. I haven't heard anyone complain about any side effects but it could be.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I just assume that the salt is really harsh, like it would be on our skin. They'll lick it off too, and that'll make them sick I'd bet.

We use the stuff that says it's safe for pets on our driveway but still take off our shoes in the garage or leave them in the entryway so as not to track it around Billie and she doesn't go on the concrete around our house and certainly not on the roads mostly because they're a mess right now and I'm too scared to walk around anyway. I'd manage to find the one unsalted piece of ground and fall on my head.

Our road crews are using salt mixed with beet juice. Go figure.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

We've used "Musher's Secret" for the last 5 years especially to avoid iceballs forming between toes. It's been a great success. It's a non-staining wax-like product.

It's widely available (KV Vet has had the cheapest price I've found but they may be out of stock)

This is the promo comment:

The only alternative to boots! No more burning from salt, chemicals, sand, sand burn, hot pavements! No more sore cracked paws! 100% natural waxes do not stain. Apply a thin coat on pads and between toes. Use weekly or as needed

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

I live in Nova Scotia, we get big winters here and copious ammounts of salt from Nov to April. The only issue our dogs have with it is drying out their pads if you don't put balm on them.

Janna and Boomer is offline Senior Member

Oh yeah, we have it all over the place here. Makes my black vehicle turn practically white, the black asphalt roads turn white...they put that stuff on HEAVY here. They don't put it on the bike paths though, so it doesn't affect Boomer's toesies...but if we walked on the road, I could definately see it causing problems.

Many times road salt is covered in an anti-caking agent to keep it from clumping, I would imagine that its that anti-caking agent that is the problem