need vacation help!

Thread: need vacation help!

guinnysmom is offline Senior Member

Defaultneed vacation help!

Hubby and I have a week off coming up. We have been given a chalet/condo to enjoy for a week but NO DOGS ALLOWED! Crazy I know, but thems the rules! It is only a couple of hours from home, and DD has exams that week, and hubby has been called for jury selection that week as well, so there will be some trips back and forth. What to do about Guinness? He has never been away from us, as we tend to camp or cottage for holidays...which is a dogs dream come true! Looking into options and would love some feedback. Guinness stays home in the kitchen (his usual haunt when noone is here) and have a neighbour come in to feed him and let him out etc. Send him to a friends house which was kinda of offered before (just not sure how he will do away from home...and not being allowed to sleep in the bedroom ) or hire someone to come stay at the house while we are away (suggested by a friend who has a dog that is treated like their baby) - don't know this person, except that they are a vet student and love dogs (not sure if I want a stranger sleeping in my house?!?!) Ideas, thoughts? Just not sure anyone will look after him the way we do....*sigh*

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: need vacation help!

We are going to potentially going to face the same issue. I have been looking at some doggy camps we have here. The dogs get 5x15 inside kennels with doggie door to same size space outside. They also get three opportunities each day to romp outside (or inside at your option) in large field or room with other dogs.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Many sitters offer an in-home dog sitting service. In other words, your dog goes to live with the pet sitter (and probably several other canine boarding clients) in their home for the duration of your trip. It is a great alternative to kennels and most dogs adjust and settle in to a home environment very quickly.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

don't know this person, except that they are a vet student and love dogs (not sure if I want a stranger sleeping in my house?!?!) Ideas, thoughts?
    This is another good alternative. However this kind of service doesn't usually run cheap.

I have done this kind of pet sitting before (I will live in) but only for people I know. I too would be wary of letting a stranger live in my house. They would have to have some serious personal references before I would consider it.

One last note about the pet sitters: they don't always advertise. Many pet sitters drum up business purely by word-of-mouth. Get in touch with dog owning friends/relatives and ask them what they do with their dogs when they go away. That is how we found the lady that looks after our dogs when we are away - reccomdatation from a family friend.

We have friends that take Bailey when she's not able to join us somewhere - they LOVE it.
    Although for her, it's much like home - she is allowed in the house & sleeps on her bed in their room; it's perfect for us. Our other option in the area sounds like yours Endofile - very nice facility with large inside/outside areas, personal attention, etc...
    I only wish our doggy daycare was an overnight facility too!

guinnysmom is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the ideas...any others would be appreciated as well. I think our biggest problem is that we feel bad that we will be enjoying ourselves and poor Guinness will be stuck at home or someone elses home or something. Sheesh...I don't think we ever pondered what we were going to do with the kids this much...just ship them off to whoever will take them and get away for a week! ;D

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

If you leave him with someone that will be around or at a doggie camp, you just need to make sure it is someplace/someone you trust. He will probably have a really good time getting extra attention (left with someone) or playing with other dogs (left at doggie camp). But either way, he will still be bouncing off the wall when he sees you come back for him.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.