I posted a few days ago about how Cooper had eaten some rat poison over the holidays while I was visiting my dad. He ended up being fine, we got him to the emergency vet clinic within 5 minutes and after they made him throw up and gave him vitamine K he was back to normal that night. The vet said that we should get our vet here to do a blood sample to make sure everything is okay, but I just called to make an appointment and they are closed Wednesday afternoons.
I was just wondering if someone has any advice on if it could wait, if I should try to see another vet, or if he really needs it at all? He has been absolutely normal since it happended and we've been checking for blood in his urine and poop and for any bruising, but there has been none.
Thanks, this was one of those eye opening events that I will be very careful to not let happen again!
My Rhys ate 10lbs of rat poison back in 2004...scarey stuff! He was fine, and if I didn't find packaging around the back yard I wouldn't have known he had ingested it.
I was out of the yard for 15 minutes, when I returned, he had gotten under the fence to the alley where the city had put the poison blocks up against the fence. I didn't know they were there.
Anyhow, I induced vomiting, and got a good deal of the poison back up, and brought him in straight away with the packing I could get together (he'd eaten some of it) and they gave him Vitamin K for two weeks. Every day after that, was a blood test. We ended up needing to give the vitamin K for almost 7 weeks, and he does have irreparable damage to his spleen (which creates blood) and is always anemic.
Anyhow, I induced vomiting, and got a good deal of the poison back up
Just reading your post, for emergency purposes, God forbid i should ever need to do it, but how did you safely induce vomitting? Do you put your fingers down their throats or give them something to drink?
In a panic situation i would probably use fingers but thought i'd check should the need ever arise~ Thanks~
thanks for the quick responses. I ended up calling another vet here, actually it's one I had been thinking of switching to, and we have an appointment for tomorrow. They were super nice and the vet even got on the phone to speak with me. After I told him what had happened, he thought Cooper would be fine, but still wanted to do the blood test. I feel much better now and I'm sure it will all be okay, but at least I'll know for sure tomorrow.