Cancer treatment - any opinions or advice
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Cancer treatment - any opinions or advice

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    DefaultCancer treatment - any opinions or advice

    I already posted this in the health section but it was suggested to crosspost...

    Hi All,

    I am in need of some advice. Our 8.5 year old Lab Sadie had a what was considered a "fatty mass" on her chest for years. She then got one on her hip. The vets all stuck a needle in and pulled out clear fluid which led them to believe it was just a harmless fatty mass. Well last month the one on her hip in 2 days grew to softball size. So our vet wanted it out and during it the one on her chest was taken out as well.

    The two masses were sent out for testing and found to be mast cell cancer. We were then referred to a cancer facility (one in gaithersburg, MD). It I believe was considered grade 2 stage 3. After a lot of blood tests and such it looks good. Our vet believes he did not get all of the tumors out. The cancer doc still wants to do an ultrasound but is recommending radiation on the two spots. This would be 5 sessions a week for 3 weeks with the dog being put under each time. The cost is about $5500. Radiation does have side effects.

    So has anyone had an experience or advice to offer? Should we put a 8.5 year old lab through a lot of misery? We would probably have to board her there during the treatment due to the facility being a far drive. The only figures they give is that 85% of dogs under treatment live 2 more years.

    What to do? any help would be appreciated...


  2. Remove Advertisements

  3. #2
    Baloo317's Avatar
    Baloo317 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    DefaultRe: Cancer treatment - any opinions or advice

    I have no advice, just wanted to say that I'm sorry you have to go through this, it can't be easy. :-\

    Good thoughts for your girl from here, whatever you decide.
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

  4. #3
    kassabella's Avatar
    kassabella is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Wellington New Zealand

    DefaultRe: Cancer treatment - any opinions or advice

    I am so sorry you are going through this, and wish I could say something to help.

    There are no right or wrong ways to deal with cancer. Each dog and owner is different. We just have to do the best we can. Take some time to let it all sink in. Then decide what you think you and your dog can cope with.

    I have lost 2 precious Labs to cancer. Kassa was dx at 2 with jaw cancer. At first I didn't do anything then chose to fight for her. We lost the fight 10 months later.

    The second 11 year Sam I adopted just over a year ago and six months later was dx with Lymphoma. I didn't fight with Sam as he was older. I thought been there I can handle it. It was different, and making decisions were just as hard as the first time. I let him go 2 weeks ago.

    I will always have doubts. What could I have done differently.Could I have saved them. I know this is part of the process. I hope I did the right things for my precious Labs.

    Whatever you do you do from love and never second guess yourself. Once you make a decision stay with it.
    Good thoughts coming.

    Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.

  5. Remove Advertisements

  6. #4
    mitziandjudysmom's Avatar
    mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    NE Ohio

    DefaultRe: Cancer treatment - any opinions or advice

    You love Sadie, and as Kasabella said, there are no right or wrong decisions made in love.
    Have you considered another vet's opinion about treatment - maybe chemo?

  7. #5
    jan elaine Guest

    DefaultRe: Cancer treatment - any opinions or advice

    I am so sorry that you are going through this. You know your dog best and how it will handle the seperation factor during treatment. Whatever you decide will be the right choice. My thoughts are with you.

  8. #6
    Anne's Avatar
    Anne is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    DefaultRe: Cancer treatment - any opinions or advice

    So sorry to hear that you all are going through this. I can't imagine being in your shoes.

    ((hugs)) to you and *kisses* to Sadie.

    Murphy, Riley, and Piper

  9. #7
    HersheyK's Dad's Avatar
    HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Minnetonka, MN

    DefaultRe: Cancer treatment - any opinions or advice

    This has to be tough for you. I wonder if anyone on the forum has any experience with the treatments and their effect on the dogs quality of life. What are the options for going back in to do the best cleanout the vet can do? I guess that I would be trying to assess the quality of the potential life the dog has left, and then have to weigh in the cost. I had to make a decision like this two dogs back and never want to have to go through it again.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    DefaultRe: Cancer treatment - any opinions or advice

    We too are going through this with Copper. She has been diagnosed with a mast cell tumour on her left hip. It is in the lymph nodes and thus would result in the removal of her leg and chemo. Even with this the prognosis would not great. She is a little older, 10 years old, but we decided to give her prednisone to slow things down and help shrink the tumour if possible. It did reduce it somewhat, but it is still there for us to see everyday and remind us of the little precious time we have left with her.

    I can certainly feel for the tough decision you have to make. Ours was very tough, but in the end, we felt a few weeks with our ball chaser feeling good because of the prednisone VS a 10 year old dog loosing a leg, feeling lousy and loosing the battle anyways.... well.... I guess there really wasn't a choice. Right now we have our puppy back and feeling pretty good. In just the last couple of days the limp is back so well see....

    You love your dog, in your heart, you will know what the right decision is.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25