Your Lab Mobile and Question on a new/used one...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Lab Mobile and Question on a new/used one...

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultYour Lab Mobile and Question on a new/used one...

I know it's been asked a zillion times, but what do you transport your labs in?

I got a Trailblazer that works quite well but it is very tight with the three dogs and grandma and our chairs, lunch, etc.

I have an opportunity to get a 2003 Suburban that is in excellent shape with only 33,000 miles on it. The Kelly Blue book price is around 17,000 for this vehicle.

My current 2000 Silverado has 109,000 miles on it. But according to Kelly Blue Book I could get between 6500 to7500 for it. I possibly have two friends who would buy it because they have said so to me already "Linda, before you trade in your truck please let me know because I/we will buy it from you."

Money is an issue for me. I drive to work nights so I absolutely NEED a reliable vehicle. And, I know there is no way I will ever find a nice Suburban at this price with such low mileage.

Should I continue driving my truck, or go for the trade for the used but newer one and have payments for awhile?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Your Lab Mobile and Question on a new/used one...

Can't tell you what to do Linda...but I will tell you, our friends have a Suburban and 3 labs & we go training so there are chairs, crates, bumpers, water coolers etc.. They are roomy. If it were me & with your three labs & all the things you like to do, I'd trade the truck for the Suburban. JMO.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I have a Jeep Wrangler, 1995, but it's just Tal and me and trips aren't that long. I am hoping sometime later this year to get a Trailblazer myself because I want to do some camping and it will be alot more comfortable fride for Tal.

Since you have alot more passengers, the Suburban would be more comfortable, but I guess the question is whether the debt is something you're willing to take on. For me, outside of my mortgage, no debt or other loans.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

My lab mobile is a 2006 GMC Yukon XL (same thing as a suburban) and I love it! I can get three 36" crates in there and still have a row of back seats or four crates with no rear seats. There's tons of room for other gear too!

We just have Cooper and we have a 2006 Saab stationwagon (okay, technically it's a "93 Aero Sport Combi" but it's a STATIONWAGON. I call it, "The Snaab" ;D). It works out well for us but honestly, he doesn't go to too many places with us. But when he does tag along, it's perfect.

If I were in your shoes, I'd also take into consideration the gas usage - or do you think they consume about the same? I'm thinking the Suburban will be a bigger hog than the Trailblazer and with the price of gas.....

Good Luck with your decision.

Bev.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I hated my Trailblazer and we did not keep it long. It was cramped and horrible on gas. Currently driving a Chevy Express Cargo Van. Living in Northern Michigan with snow tires on it I have not had any problems getting around.
    I know a few folks with a Sub or Tahoe and they love them! That is a good price for the Sub and pretty low in miles. I would just double check and make sure it has not been in any serious accidents that may effect its performance down the road.
    Kim

I have a 97 Surburban that I absolutely LOVE. Reason I got it was for the many dogs I was transporting and now have. Removed the 3rd seat the day I got it and haven't put it back in. I feel much safer in the Surburban than I have any other vehicle.

Currently, I just have Henery and we drive around in an 2006 Subaru Impreza sportwagaon. Henry rides in the backseat with a seatbelt harness. It works pretty well for us, I can fit his 36" Noz2Noz crate folded down in the cargo area, along with all of our gear for shows, including an EZ up tent for outdoor shows.

However, with the possibility of a little sister for Henry this spring (Roo?? Are you preggers?? ), I'm rethinking the car thing. I don't know if I'll be able to transport 2 "kids" plus show gear for 2 and me in our car. It'll be tight, but I hope it'll all fit because I loooove this car. Though, I have to admit, my if-money-were-no-object vehicle would be either the Subaru Tribeca or the Volvo XC90.

It sounds like a great deal on your Suburban (good condition, low mileage), and plus, with at least one buyer (if not 2 possible) lined up for your Silverado, why not go for it!!

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

Well, I have a mercury sable and taking my two is like taking a backseat full of kids. They fight over the limited space. I very seldom take them for rides. I hope to get a new vehicle next summer and will be looking into something a little more dog friendly.

Brookville, Pa.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

The current owners of the Suburban are very good friends of mine. I was at dinner with them today when he said he was going to get an Avalanche. They keep the Suburban in the garage and use it for their "long trips", it is well maintained and in excellent condition. Obviously they haven't had that many "long trips" with it, not compared to the trips I've made in my truck.

Gas mileage is about the same on their Suburban and my truck. I get about 22 mpg on the highway. Randy told me he's gotten up to 23 mpg on the highway. So it is comparable.

Yes, the Trailblazer is a gas hog too.

I love our trailblazer, it rides very very smooth, but it is cramped when we all go.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast