Year End Pet Therapy Visits

Thread: Year End Pet Therapy Visits

pbc
    pbc is offline Senior Member

DefaultYear End Pet Therapy Visits

Yesterday Marshal had two visits to close out the year. When we arrived at the first facility I have a very long corridor to go down to check in at the main desk. As I started down the hall a lady came up to me and asked if she could hug my dog. I invited her to sit at a table near by and suggested she pet him. She appeared to be a visitor. It was obvious she was upset and I was not comfortable with what this situation could lead to should she not want to let go of Marshal. It turned out she had PTS her 15-year-old Chocolate lab female named Hershey that morning and was on her way home from the vet. She was distraught having to tell her mother who was a resident what she had had to do that day. She ended up hugging Marshal for several minutes. We sat and visited. She hugged Marshal some more and reminisced about her girl. This was not a regularly scheduled visit for me but God definitely had plans for us yesterday. We ended up sitting there through lunch and than visited with everyone else. Marshal did some tricks for her. Thanking me, she gave him one last hug and placed a kiss on his nose. He bowed gently at her feet before we said goodbye.

On our way home we got caught in a traffic jam due to an accident in front of another nursing home we visit. I decided to pull in their driveway and go in to say hello. Our December visit was canceled on Christmas Eve when the other dog and handlers could not go. This facility has a new administrator who recently started working there. I thought it would be a good time to introduce myself and figured it would be more productive than sitting in traffic that was going no where fast. When the lady came out of her office to greet me she stopped in her tracks. She had a look on her face that made me think she didn't like dogs. It turns out her lab died on Christmas day. We ended up going in her office where we visited for a while and she played with Marshal. After that we said a quick hello to the residents and made our way home. Yesterday was one of those days that were just meant to be. Marshal was tired when we got home and was quiet the rest of the day. It is days like this that renew my commitment to doing these visits and letting our boy do what he does best.
    Guest poster - original forum July 2001. Member 2002. nbsc

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Year End Pet Therapy Visits

Truly what they are meant to do ......... God bless you both.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

God uses his special angels in special ways.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Oh Pat, you were truly sent to both those places yesterday. Thank you and Marshal for the wonderful things you did.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Pat and Marshal, you helped two very different people at just the right time. How fortunate that you were there when you were really needed. It is so great that you make the therapy visits independent of this special day with two special people in need,
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.