UPDATE IN FIRST POST: Frankie sounds like he has a hairball????
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UPDATE IN FIRST POST: Frankie sounds like he has a hairball????

Emyly is offline Senior Member

DefaultUPDATE IN FIRST POST: Frankie sounds like he has a hairball????

Hey all. Thanks for the advice and good thoughts yesterday. He was still coughing this morning so I called the vet and went in. Doc said it sounds like kennel cough, but he has none of the other signs, has not been around ANY other dogs aside from our pack, and none of the rest of the pack is showing signs, so we stuck to the original prognosis of a sore, swollen throat from irritation (probably the pepper in the marinade).

Doc put him on prednisone and we'll see how we're doing in 24 hours. He's still happy as a lark, playing and eating, drinking etc.

A side note. . my doc just split from another doc in town to start an individual practice. I didn't have the new number so called the (disgruntled, naturally) old one and asked if he had the number. "No, I'm afraid I don't". B.S... but that's okay. I should have called him back after I found the number and said "Hey, since you don't have it, the number is: XXX-XXXX.

Hey all. . . my 5 year old rescue Frankie woke me up this morning with what seemed to be a cross between a cough and dry heaves...but sounded mostly like a cat coughing up a hairball, but more extended. He's drinking lots of water and was vomiting up a white foam. I'm wondering if he's dehydrated.

My old vet just left so I will be calling the new one as soon as I figure out if it is an emergency or not.
    ~Em~

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Frankie sounds like he has a hairball???? Worried

Sounds like kennel cough...not an emergency unless he has a fever, loose stool or goes off food.

She thinks its some jerky marinade drippings that he got into yesterday. . . the cayenne pepper in it. . .and he's got it stuck in his throat.
    ~Em~

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

That was my first thought. . .

Quote Originally Posted by JacksAndLabs
    Sounds like kennel cough...not an emergency unless he has a fever, loose stool or goes off food.
    ~Em~

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emyly N Rio
    Hey all. . . my 5 year old rescue Frankie woke me up this morning with what seemed to be a cross between a cough and dry heaves...but sounded mostly like a cat coughing up a hairball, but more extended. He's drinking lots of water and was vomiting up a white foam. I'm wondering if he's dehydrated.

My old vet just left so I will be calling the new one as soon as I figure out if it is an emergency or not.
    Its more thans likely kennel cough. My young pup had it few months ago its highly contagious so try to stay away from other dogs while your pooch has it. Vets can prescribe antibiotics to prevent them getting anything else while the cough is present. Also vet said to me to give him cough syrup! lol the heavy shoudl go after a couple of days xx

Keeping him away from the rest of the pack is not an option at this point. They've all been together for the past 2 days (temps below freezing, so none can stay in the outside kennel runs) and if anyone's susceptible, they've got it at this point. I've only got one dog that worries me, and that's the 15 year old. She stays away from all of the younguns, so she should be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by kaznalf

Its more thans likely kennel cough. My young pup had it few months ago its highly contagious so try to stay away from other dogs while your pooch has it. Vets can prescribe antibiotics to prevent them getting anything else while the cough is present. Also vet said to me to give him cough syrup! lol the heavy shoudl go after a couple of days xx
    ~Em~

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Oops didnt know you have other dogs i meant dogs in the park etc. Hard keeping them apart at home Alfie passed it onto my terrier Penny she got it the day after him. Hope they recover soon

Keeping him away from the rest of the pack is not an option at this point. They've all been together for the past 2 days (temps below freezing, so none can stay in the outside kennel runs) and if anyone's susceptible, they've got it at this point. I've only got one dog that worries me, and that's the 15 year old. She stays away from all of the younguns, so she should be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by kaznalf

Labz4Me is offline Senior Member

I hope it's just the after affects of the marinade, and not kennel cough. How long have you had Frankie? Jack exhibited signs of kennel cough for almost 2 weeks after we adopted him but we didn't know what it was it at the time. He also sounded like he was coughing up a hairball. We had never experienced KC before and he was otherwise feeling fine. It was only after he passed it off to Abby that we realized what he had.

Pat from S.E. Pa
    Abby - CGC
    Jack - OCP (official couch potato)

I've had Frankie since he was a pup. . . he's lab/aussie. He was from an oops litter and the husband was going to drown the litter, hence his 'rescue' status.

I'm hoping its not kennel cough either, because he's been literally nose to nose with Duke playing over the past few days (and this morning before I realized what was going on). Duke cleared his throat a few minutes ago and I freaked out.

The vet told me to call her in the morning and let her know how things are going. I don't know if KC occurred to her or not.

How would Frankie have gotten KC if he had no contact with dogs outside our pack?

Quote Originally Posted by Labz4Me
    I hope it's just the after affects of the marinade, and not kennel cough. How long have you had Frankie? Jack exhibited signs of kennel cough for almost 2 weeks after we adopted him but we didn't know what it was it at the time. He also sounded like he was coughing up a hairball. We had never experienced KC before and he was otherwise feeling fine. It was only after he passed it off to Abby that we realized what he had.

~Em~

We just went thru this. Jake started hacking something fierce. He would hack and then gag. Kind of like when you cough and the mucous breaks up. We have had kennel cough before and this is pretty much what it was like then. I just gave him some Robitussin DM and let him work it out. Ginger has not started coughing yet. Jake has not coughed in 2 days so hopefully we are over it.
    Hope Frankie feels better soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast