Update from my rescue adventure (Long and lots of pix)
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Update from my rescue adventure (Long and lots of pix)

Joe Maringo is offline Senior Member

DefaultUpdate from my rescue adventure (Long and lots of pix)

It all began with a post in a rescue thread about two labs in Texas who's owner was being deployed on January 4, 2008. Morgan, age 5 and Nascar, age 13, and that was all it took. You ALL know how I am with seniors. I decided the only thing that would be safe and comfortable for Nascar would be for me to drive to San Antonio and pick him up. Of course, how could I take Nascar and leave Morgan without a place to go? So Morgan came along for the ride as well.

On the way down, me and Bubba stopped in Nashville to visit with Connie. We had a bit of time to kill, so I took Bubba to the lake and snapped a few shots. My boy is starting to look pretty old, even though he is only 10.

Still, it is such a joy to have him with me. It is all but impossible for me to go anywhere without a dog along for the ride. I sure do love that big yellow boy!

From Nashville it was off to New Orleans and a great lunch with Kim and Bobby. It was a quick stop and they where on their lunch hour, so no pictures.

From there it was on to Houston, and dinner with Amy and Sarah and Vicki from STLRR. I had met Sarah and her husband before, but was happy to finally meet Amy and Vicki and their spouses. Sadly, once again I was not able to meet up with Dina. One of these days though! Sarah and Wayne where kind enough to allow me and Bubba to spend the night with them. We talked about dogs until almost 11pm, then I was off to bed.

Back up at 7am and on the road to Helotes Texas where I picked up Nascar and Morgan. It was pretty emotional for the family, and me as well. It was at that point that plans started to change. Kim had told me about a one year old golden retriever that was in her shelter that needed out. Why spend the money to fly her to PA. when I could just run back to NOLA and pick her up? So back to the Big Easy was next on my list.

Got there Saturday morning and Kim ask if she could take Morgan for a walk. Well, Morgan weighs in at 110 pounds! It was more like Morgan was taking Kim for a walk, or maybe flying her like a kite!

A few minutes later the shelter opened and I was able to get Lea, the golden out. She is very small and quite pretty. Here are a few pix of her here at home.

From there it was back to Nashville to spend the night. I don't think Motel 6 knew what they where in for when we pulled in.

Morgan and Nascar having dinner in our room.

Handsome Morgan

Stately Nascar

Since Nascar will be staying, he got to meet all the new brothers and sisters he will have.

This is him meeting Sirius, the butt head. Blacky and Shayla are looking on from the background.

Morgan enjoying a zoom past Blacky in the back yard.

Morgan and Nascar checking out the new diggs

Looking for bunny's in the back yard

Chewing on some fresh green grass. Everyone seems to be getting along well. I have not let them meet Hunter yet, and don't expect that to work out. I don't think he is going to like Nascar. Hunter can be like that a lot of the time with new dogs.

So, that was my adventure. 4 and a half days, 3788 miles, 3 new dogs, 10 friends visited and one very tired but happy Joe. To those of you who I did not get to meet, I will be headed your way again, I am sure I will be knocking on your door some day. Just ask Connie, you never know who might just stop by without an invitation

Southwest Pennsylvania Retriever Rescue Organization or S.P.A.R.R.O. and Shades Of Grey Senior Sanctuary
    A 501c3 Non Profit Organization.
    Plum, Pa.
    412-795-0163
    website www.sparro.org/

Saving one dog will not change the world But, surely, for that one dog the world will change forever!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Update from my rescue adventure (Long and lots of pix)

Wow joe you do such good things! Hope 2008 goes well for you and all your pooches!!

mattgusmum is offline Senior Member

Wow, that was some trip!! Glad everyone made it there and back safely. Love the pictures of Bubba.....what a gentleman he looks.

Won't someone please feed me!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

budbud is offline Senior Member

Joe
    you did all that in 4 1/2 days ! wow the pups are just beautiful you did good

Good for you and the dogs...lucky they have you.

lablimo is offline Senior Member

What great pictures and an equally great adventure!! Hey Joe, if you ever make it to California -- let me know!!

Joe Maringo is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by budbud
    Joe
    you did all that in 4 1/2 days ! wow the pups are just beautiful you did good
    Yes, it was just a short little trip

I was talking to a friend that does dog transports. She just did 10,000 miles in 10 days Now THAT is some serious driving!!!
    Southwest Pennsylvania Retriever Rescue Organization or S.P.A.R.R.O. and Shades Of Grey Senior Sanctuary
    A 501c3 Non Profit Organization.
    Plum, Pa.
    412-795-0163
    website www.sparro.org/

Saving one dog will not change the world But, surely, for that one dog the world will change forever!

Wow what a great trip. Joe you are amazing. Bubba, yo da man!!!

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Joe, if you are ever in SE Michigan, you have a place to stay if you don't mind a queen-size Aero bed!
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast